Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2011, 05:50 PM   #491
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bsuch View Post
The current design (as in my personal pair) uses a Solen 14 ga. perfect lay which measures about .3 ohm.

Basically if you stay at or below .5 ohm ( 15 ga wire or 16 ga. foil air core) there will be little problem with the trap working as intended. I would avoid iron core inductors for this part of the circuit. Not a lot of price difference and the lower DCR is not needed.
Very good then. The BOM file for Madisound has a 19 awg shown that is listed at .90 ohm. I'll use the Solens then. Thanks!
Old 24th October 2011, 04:00 PM   #492
FOXYE is offline FOXYE  Israel
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information,

Carpentry shop near me home offered to build the speaker in MDF, is MDF appropriate?

What is the recommended height of the stand from the floor? 60 cm from the floor is good?

Last edited by FOXYE; 24th October 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 24th October 2011, 04:06 PM   #493
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's "OK". 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood is a better choice if you are paying someone to do it.
Old 24th October 2011, 04:13 PM   #494
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXYE View Post
What is the recommended height of the stand from the floor? 60 cm from the floor is good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bsuch View Post
I have found the system to sound the best with the Vifa 38" - 42" off the floor
That makes the stand about 18 to 21" tall.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th October 2011, 04:14 PM   #495
FOXYE is offline FOXYE  Israel
diyAudio Member

What are the Baltic Birch plywood benefits against the MDF? Is it more expensive?
Old 24th October 2011, 04:18 PM   #496
diyAudio Moderator

It is more expensive, but most people like it better for its sound properties. If you are just doing a quick and dirty "let's try this" then MDF of OSB is fine. But if you are going to the expense of paying someone to do the wood work, then the cost difference between MDF and plywood isn't going to be large. Labor will probably be the majority of the cost.

Let's see what John says, but I prefer plywood over MDF, for sure.
Old 26th October 2011, 03:11 PM   #497
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been holding out for that high efficiency version to show up and would like to start collecting parts as funds become available.

It seems like the Seas Prestige FA22RCZ is locked in for the high end and the 18" woofer is still being sorted. I just wanted to see if this is still the case before I order a set.
Old 26th October 2011, 03:27 PM   #498
diyAudio Moderator

That is indeed the case. Seas locked in, 18" in flux. John will chime in, I'm sure, with details of the 18s he's been working with.
Old 26th October 2011, 03:36 PM   #499
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXYE View Post
What are the Baltic Birch plywood benefits against the MDF? Is it more expensive?
Better stiffness and better damping to vibrations. A structure of wood with less colouration on the sound. Harder to work it, baltic birch is better and much more expensive.
Old 26th October 2011, 03:43 PM   #500
diyAudio Member

Baffle material can be MDF or birch ply, or pine ply wood as long as it is at least 0.70" thick and void free. If over 0.875" thick, some slight adjustments in the Vifa rear counter bore may be required. I used birch ply wood due to availability and you have quite a few options as to finishes that can be applied. MDF is not as flexable in terms of finish options.

Concerning the HE version woofer, still auditioning potential woofers. Now awaiting the delivery of a pair of Eminence Sigma 18's with the larger 120 oz magnet. Finding out (AGAIN) that many 18's do not meet advertised specifications, especially efficiency. So far, the Eminence's have been close. MCM, Goodwood and others have fallen between 3 db to as much as 11 db short!! Yikes! What ever I decide on has to be correct for the application AND consistent in meeting specifications. The target is a true measured efficiency of at least 97 dbw and an FS of about 32 Hz or a bit lower. This is taking a lot more time that I thought it would. Anybody need a pile of slightly used 18'S??

Hide this!Advertise here!