Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2011, 03:38 PM   #381
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Old 7th May 2011, 01:21 PM   #382
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

Since I had already ordered parts for the original version of the Manzanita I thought I would cobble them together and give them a listen. I used some 1.25" thick ply I had on hand and covered them with some cork underlayment. I love my local used building materials store!

Of course the first thing I did was play them as loudly as I could with bass heavy music and a 120wpc class D amp. I'm amazed at the bass these can produce, I was half expecting them to sound rather thin. I did find the limits of low end with some Pantha du Prince played at loud levels. Bass quality was excellent and as extended as I could have hoped for. Admittedly these levels were much louder than I normally listen. In fact, the best sound so far played at my normal listening levels has been with a passive pre and PP 6BQ5 amp. I only listen about 7 feet from the speakers and don't crank it so the match is superb. I can't wait for the next iterations to be rolled out Here is a picture in my messy garage

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th May 2011, 02:14 PM   #383
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Most excellent, vaughn!
Old 7th May 2011, 09:53 PM   #384
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Indeed most excellent! And 1.25" ply and cork rulz. Thanks for the photo and the description.

No, these are not a thin and dainty OBees. These rock, for sure.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:14 PM   #385
diyAudio Member

The cork made it very easy to countersink the tweeter; I just used Super 77 to mount the cork, rough cut the holes for the tweeters and traced around the tweeter baffle on the cork. Then it was simply a matter of cutting the circle and peeling back the cork for the 1/8" recess.

To say I'm eager to see the high efficiency version would be an understatement I'd like something that plays nicely with a SE 2A3 and it sounds like it might fit the bill.
Old 8th May 2011, 12:02 AM   #386
diyAudio Moderator

Up close and at reasonable levels, it should.
Old 8th May 2011, 02:42 AM   #387
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Here is a picture in my messy garage
Hmmmmm.......... I spy a couple of spare tubez ampz - plus a nice look'n dual VC woof-woof - plus a couple of boxes to sniff around in!!!
Old 8th May 2011, 02:46 AM   #388
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2cthomas View Post
Hmmmmm.......... I spy a couple of spare tubez ampz - plus a nice look'n dual VC woof-woof - plus a couple of boxes to sniff around in!!!
Yep

Top shelf is pair of EV 12trxb's, next down is a Bogen CHB100 I'm rebuilding into a bass amp for a friend and on the bottom is a Sherwood S8000II.

Right now I'm listening to Buddy Rich on the Manzanitas with a little rebuilt PP 6bq5 Fisher console amp and it is sounding very nice indeed
Old 8th May 2011, 02:55 AM   #389
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughn View Post
Yep

Top shelf is pair of EV 12trxb's, next down is a Bogen CHB100 I'm rebuilding into a bass amp for a friend and on the bottom is a Sherwood S8000II.

Right now I'm listening to Buddy Rich on the Manzanitas with a little rebuilt PP 6bq5 Fisher console amp and it is sounding very nice indeed
I'm so green with envy that I can babababarly ttttyyyypppppeee - hmmmm......that doesn't infer anything naughty - I have both hands on da keyboard.
Old 8th May 2011, 03:30 AM   #390
diyAudio Moderator

Ha! First thing I noticed was the stack of Priority Mail boxes. What was I thinking??

Hide this!Advertise here!