Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2011, 05:02 PM   #331
diyAudio Member

Default Mark Audio 6 inch full range

I did notice the entire Mark Audio line over at Madisound I believe, but cost is the problem there. On paper they look like well designed drivers. Also have some concerns as to shouty performance from a driver that large having to work all the way out to 15K or so. If anyone has any direct experience with this driver it would be nice to get some impressions on it.
Old 7th February 2011, 05:08 PM   #332
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I do have direct experience with it. I'm very impressed with the alp6 in particular. Not shouty at all. Fairly good off axis performance. Extends out to 20k.

What I really liked was the low distortion and the huge, almost unbelievable soundstage it was able to throw. Plus the coherence is great. It simply sounds very musical and effortless, something I would attach with a larger, high quality, high efficiency paper driver. Of course, all of this within its limits. It is a small driver and you don't expect to fill a large room with it, unless you are using it >500 Hz. I was using it full range in a small room, definitely near field. But it may work as a mid-tweeter.

I'm running it with the delite amp right now ~6 watts of power. It beats the pants off the JX92s in almost every aspect, except bass extension and SPL.

All I'm saying is give it a go and see what you think. They would be perfect for this project.

Oh and the alp6 is not six inch. It is more like 3 inches in diameter. Tiny driver.

Last edited by ra7; 7th February 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 7th February 2011, 06:41 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the Mark Audio impressions

RA7

Seems you have found a nice driver. Especially good to see you find it not shouty. Will keep in mind as an alternative if my current selections do not pan out availability wise.
Old 7th February 2011, 07:29 PM   #334
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, its a good driver... too inefficient to go in my main system. A good driver nevertheless.
Old 8th February 2011, 07:03 AM   #335
Banned

Appologies for my dumbness.
Can anyone provide advice/instructions on how to model an open baffle in lspcad.

I am currently using dipole design 5.3 but I want to use lspcad for comparison as well as designing a passive crossover
Old 8th February 2011, 07:43 PM   #336
diyAudio Member

Another trip back to the 80s and entry-level drivers, but I think the concept is still a valid one and fits right in with what is being discussed at this moment.....

Does anyone manufacture something like this?

RS dedicated 3" cone mid/tweeter with subenclosure - page 22, left side (click to enlarge and drag)

I've seen many vintage speaker systems sold back in the 50s and 60s use something similar, for example, a 12" or 15" woofer paired with a five inch driver that handles the midrange and upper frequencies. They definitely weren't suitable for use as studio monitors or for critical listening but because of their mellow "friendly" sonic signature, made music easy to listen to for hours.

BTW the 40-1354 5.25" FR driver so many DIYers like to use is shown on page 61, in the car audio section. It's crammed in with all their other products with nothing special written about it, but little did the RS engineers know what was in store for their driver in the 21st century........

Last edited by River757; 8th February 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:19 PM   #337
Spijker is offline Spijker  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

What about a modified Audax TW 034 XO a la Troels Gravesen ?
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:38 AM   #338
Westy37 is offline Westy37  Australia
diyAudio Member

This certainly is an interesting project, I'm looking to build use the original Seas 27tdfc tweeter and then perhaps experiment with one of the smaller diameter Alpair drivers, most likely an Alpair5.

I do have a question though and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me here.

What is the point of having asymetrical rear wings? Also, so long as the baffle is adequately braced could I do away with them entirely?
Old 3rd March 2011, 02:36 PM   #339
diyAudio Member

looking forward too see your new version john. still enjoying my tdfc version btw

also, I was looking for a speaker with a very low tweeter xo and found the linkwitz pluto. It uses the Aurasound NSW2-326-8A-120.
Plays flat down too 200-250hz(fs:250hz), distortion does not atart to rise before 700-800hz, x-max is 6mm p-p and it has pretty good HF extension.
I have not heard this driver myself, but the pluto at least is a highly regarded speaker. The only downside as i can see it is that the diaphram is titanium and not magnesium.... ohh, well....:P

https://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/NSW2-326-8A.pdf
Old 4th March 2011, 01:36 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

Westy37

The wing shape and depth were a compromise driven by smoothing efforts and getting as much depth as possible with out inducing cavity resonances.

I derived the shapes via listening and simple measurement. They do not need to be exactly as they are for the project to perform well. Wing depth closely averaging the original will work. The depth also sets the F-3 and F equal for the system, which effects the low end cut off, woofer efficiency and woofer upper end roll off. So if the depth increases, some modifications to the crossover would be needed to rebalance the system.

Hope this the above info helps.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!