Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2010, 05:23 PM   #321
diyAudio Member

I'm not nearly done reading this thread, but am interested in building the Manzanita and have a question about it (and OBs in general): if overexcursion of the woofer's cone is a potential problem, especially with certain forms of rock and pop music, could a surround receiver's bass management system be of help with this issue?

If the receiver's bass management system offers the proper xover point (most offer a xover frequency at least down to 60Hz though many seem to go as low as 40Hz), could an OB like the Manzanita be used with a surround receiver, with its management system's xover set to an appropriate point, so as to help eliminate the unwanted frequencies that have the potential to cause overexcursion? Btw I'm not talking about using a subwoofer with the Manzanitas - I just want to use the filtering abilities of the receiver's electronic xover system.

This plan also offers the advantage of reducing the strain on the receiver's power amp section since it would not have to handle power-hungry very low bass notes, bass that an OB might not be able to reproduce anyway without audible distortion or damaging overexcursion.
Old 12th December 2010, 08:09 PM   #322
diyAudio Member

The manzanita's effective low end extension is around 38-42 Hz. Below that, the output rolls of very quickly. So a filter set around 30 Hz or so would be ok. One good thing about the Peerless is that it has a very progressive spider and can take a lot of punishment. It can be driven hard enough to drive the voice coil out of the gap, but it really takes a lot to do it.

So, yes, you can use the Manzanita as a surround speaker with bass management.
Old 13th December 2010, 05:58 AM   #323
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice John. :thumbsup:

I didn't think about using these speakers for use as surround channels, though I guess for a large space they would work out fine. Actually, due to their dipolar nature, an OB might work out well for such an application.
Old 7th February 2011, 05:29 AM   #324
diyAudio Member

Curious if there's been any more work with the SB tweeter.

Perhaps the FR approach has been dropped, but was the Dayton RS100 considered among the 3-4"s?
Dayton Audio RS100-4 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 4 Ohm
Old 7th February 2011, 10:34 AM   #325
diyAudio Member

FR has been tried but not worked because of trouble in the midrange (search in the topic). Personally I prefer the treble of a dome.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:22 PM   #326
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, there has been very good progress using a full range driver for the mid/high. Details should be coming soon.
Old 7th February 2011, 02:26 PM   #327
diyAudio Member

Default Low cost alternative mid-range tweeter for the Manzanita

Hello All

As Pano indicates there has been a lot of effort to update the Manzanita with a 3" class full range to replace the very expensive Scan Speak mid-tweeter dome.

As for the Dayton aluminum 4", nice driver but it's true efficiency is more like 81.5 through most of it's range and it has a nasy break up on the very high end. It can work, but I think there are better choices.

So far I have worked with Fountek, Dayton, Vifa, Tang band and other full range drivers. A balance of crossover cost - simplicity and driver cost - performance have been my over all goal. Geting the Manzanita back to as simple and low cost trim as possible while mantaining and or improving over all performance.

I have narrowed my choices down to two drivers. The best of the two may be discontinued (seems to be a lot of that these days). Waiting for a solid answer from the supplier about long term availability.

I hope to be able to share an updated version in the next few weeks.

Also, I have designed a larger version of the Manzanita I call Manzanitas Gigantus, taking the orginal design a bit further. More on that project to come.
Old 7th February 2011, 02:39 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

That's all great news ... I've no doubt it will be worth the wait.
Old 7th February 2011, 03:15 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

Good news ! Things have changed.
I wonder how is the treble quality ? I always found the treble from a FR (3" or higher) not very good.
A candidate could be the AURA NSW2-326-8A ?

Last edited by jerome69; 7th February 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 7th February 2011, 03:52 PM   #330
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

John,

Have you given the Mark Audio Alpair 6 a listen? Not inexpensive, but the sound
is extremely good. I'm not a fan of metal cone drivers, but this little guy is a truly
phenomenal sounding driver. Very low distortion and amazing top to bottom coherence.

It has plenty of excursion and offers a wide range of frequencies for the crossover.
Not cheap, but not too expensive. And it looks like it will be in production for a long time.

Looking forward to your new designs.

Hide this!Advertise here!