Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project
Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2018, 10:11 PM   #1781
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

The wings will certainly help with the bracing but I think it'd be better if they didn't impede the wideband so much to the front
Old 29th March 2018, 10:27 PM   #1782
John Busch is offline John Busch  United States
diyAudio Member

Johno.... The plastic Chevy post was a test.... having some operator difficulties at this end.... I SURE it's not MY fault... Anyway, nice that you like it. Moma's car actually... as with you, getting in and out of it is a real pain in the....
Old 29th March 2018, 10:31 PM   #1783
diyAudio Member

Johno... almost forgot.... well I did forget... the wings will help some with the Peerless, but with it's lower Q, not as much as with the GRS 15. You would see a bit of efficiency gain which may require some pad and High Pass capacitor adjustments. If you do experiment, would be interesting to know what you find out.
Old 29th March 2018, 10:35 PM   #1784
diyAudio Member

SJ The wing depth(s) I ended up with is based on quite a bit of experimentation, and listening. Once I went beyond the 2.5" up front and the 5" in back, I could start hearing changes. Not all bad BTW, but away from the original concept clarity and balance. So I think I got about as much "free" improvements as I could without messing up what the Manzanita does well.
Old 29th March 2018, 10:41 PM   #1785
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's tempting to go towards H frame or U frame for more bass (I have U frames) but I find the idea of the flat baffle pure, I managed to convince myself that for bass, and so long as you crossover below cavity resonance, wings or frames don't degrade the dipole behaviour too much.
Old 30th March 2018, 12:00 AM   #1786
jwjarch is offline jwjarch  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi John,
Does "free" improvements also mean no changes to the crossover as currently designed?
Old 30th March 2018, 03:02 PM   #1787
diyAudio Member

Free refers to construction costs remaining basically the same, save the extra "sweat" equity. The crossover will require some adjustments... lower pad resistor value and tweaking the high pass cap value upward a couple of MFD. As in the past, adjust to suit your taste, specific driver realities and room conditions. Nice thing about adjusting the cap is you can just add a bit at a time parallel to the existing cap. 0.5 MFD increments once or twice than how many 0.1 it takes until the sound snaps into place.

Can't give you an exact Pad resistor value change. Don't know where you are now and the Vifa and GRS can vary a bit. All that adds up. Suspect most would see a 1-3 ohm drop in the pad value.

I encourage you experiment with temporary card board wings and see if you like what you hear. Good luck!

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB projectHide this!Advertise here!