Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Joined 2008
Paid Member
@bloozestringer, I would suggest building with the GRS 15. Yes, the Peerless is good, but is it three times as good? Doubtful for that price. You could build relatively quick and cheap with non-fancy materials (e.g., OSB chipboard, scrap plywood, XPS skinned with 1/4” ply/HDF) to see if you like the sound, and then refine with nicer baffles.

@von Ah The peerless is only twice as much as the GRS. I've heard the 12" and 15" versions several times with John (including side by side) and believe the 12" would be better suited for my small 12x12 listening room. I also don't like the asthetics of the 15" on the small baffle because it's gonna interfere with the awesome veneer I have (WAF factor means a lot after 30 years of marriage). I don't mind waiting to see if I can find a pair as it'll most likely be a winter project anyway. I just spent more than the original cost of my 40 year old Polk monitors in updating the crossovers, tweeter, and dampening than the Manzi's will cost to build.

Reactions: 1 users
I did put a WTB post in the marketplace in case someone has a pair of the 12" they want to part with. I drew the outline of the speaker with the 12" and 15" and alhtought eh 15" is only 2" wider/taller, it is a significant difference when going into a smallish room. You wouldn't think so until I drew them out.

Joined 2008
Paid Member

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-09 080851.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-09 080851.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 50
Falcon Acoustics shipping option to the states is $150. These speakers aren't worth spending $300 just for two 12" drivers. At least not to me. And yes, I've heard them a time or two back in the day with John.

I'm either going to have to just deal with the larger 15" or find a 12" replacement that is 8 ohm. I may just order the 15" and other drivers and at least I'd have them on-hand. Maybe Peerless will pull their head out and trickle out some drivers in lower quantities in the future.

Small room at 12.5' wide and the max spacing I could possibly do with the Manzi's is 5.5'. 3 feet from the front wall leaves me with about a 6 foot listening distance to my ears. The 15" looks HUGE 6' from your head.

Here's a kind of perspective of what it'd look like. It actually looks bigger in the room.

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 89
  • music room current.jpg
    music room current.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Some would ask why the Manzi looking huge matters at all if it sounds great? :clown:

Perhaps your stands could have sliders on the bottom (if that's carpet on the floor) and you could move the Manzi's out from the wall for dedicated listening sessions. I've done that before.

It's the baffles yes, but the driver itself is rather imposing at a close distance. Makes it uncomfortable to sit close to it visually. I'm not the only one on the forum and elsewhere that has made that comment. My wife listens as well and even she said it was going to be a bit much at such a close distance. The fact that I'm lazy I don't want to have to mark the floor and shuffle speakers around if I want to listen. By the time I do that I've lost interest.
I made some cardboard cutouts to see what might "feel" right in the room and about 15" x 48" or so would be a max good size assuming the speaker is sitting on the floor and I could get it withing 2' of the front wall. Part of the Manzi's feeling large is the fact that they are on stands and nearfield. I know they sound good as I've heard them many times over the years, but there is something to say about aesthetics in the room and right now I'm trying to get rid off all my old crappy audio gear to rework the system (which is why it's a mess in there). The guitar stuff stays though. I'd rather lose the hifi than the guitar rigs. I love the OB sound, but I may have to go with a smaller OB/hybrid to make this work. I'm quite torn as I'd like to have a pair of Manzi's.

"I've also had some luck painting big baffles the same color as the walls. That seems to make them blend in a bit."
But I have some gorgeous quilted bubinga veneer ;)

But I have some gorgeous quilted bubinga veneer ;)
Bubinga?

Nevermind. :)

Maybe go in a different direction and get speakers that are designed to be right near the wall, like Pi Speakers. Far different soundstage and presentation but they are easy to place and they stay out of the way. And somewhere on the Pi Speaker site is a pair of boxes done in bubinga. That's what reminded me ...

Reactions: 1 user