Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2009, 05:49 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

IMO here is a better woofer for this OB project (Qts: 1.17)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=292-320
Old 1st July 2009, 02:27 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

MrTwister,

Gosh, at that CHEAP price, 4 ohm, 90dB, Qts >!, maybe 4 per side in series / parallel would still give 6dB gain (total 96dB?) at total 4ohms? Is that right Pano?

Anyone have SPL graph of it on an infinite baffle? Any subsequent response irregularities in an OB could then be smoothed by a DCX2496? maybe?
Old 1st July 2009, 03:03 PM   #113
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's an interesting looking driver, and cheap for sure! The thing does actually calculate out to the same SPL @ 2.83V as the Peerless. But it should give more low end, with that high Qts. (4 ohm load)

My guess is that it would play down to about 30Hz on the same size baffle. And yes, 4 of them should give you ~96dB at 4 ohms. That's good, as you will always end up trading away that SPL to make up for open baffle loss. And 4 ohms means a smaller inductor, too.

The trouble is - how does it sound? Being that cheap it's hard to imagine its upper range could be very pretty. That's where the Peerless shines. It's a great sounding driver.

Also tried the Eminance Acoustinator 12" neo on the rig with pretty good results. A little louder and lower than the Peerless, even tho it specs almost the same. More crossover work, tho.

I ran this rig for awhile with the SS3806 mid-tweet and loved it. JB also built one and came up with a great 4 element crossover. 4 elements! Alas the SS3806 is no longer made. Maybe a nice 2~3" fullrange driver could takes its place.

Thanks for posting the 12. Worth playing with at that price.
Old 1st July 2009, 06:09 PM   #114
Ian J is offline Ian J  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 4 element x-o

Hi Pano,
I have a pair of SS3806 - is that 4 element x-o with the Acoustinator? Do you have details?
Thanks,
Ian
Old 1st July 2009, 06:26 PM   #115
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Ian - the x-over was for the Peerless woofer with the SS3806. It is as follows.

12 MH on woofer (iron core type)
12R series on Tweeter
2.7 - 4.0 MH Tweet shunt
5 to 6 MFD Tweet cap (Flavor to suit taste).

So 2 coils a cap and a resistor. That's all. Feel free to tune a bit to your ear and your room+amp.

This was very popular at the recent LSAF.

Hope you enjoy it.

Just FWIW, I covered the face and wings of mine with felt and then a layer of faux suede. It helped a lot. Maybe only the sharp edges need it, I don't know.

These are best palced on stands with thewoofer about 40cm (15") off the floor. On the floor they can get too heavy in the lower midrange. This also puts the tweeter near ear hight.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:03 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Re post 99,

The best way to get to a smaller inductor - make sure the parallel resistor is another driver
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:23 AM   #117
diyAudio Moderator

Works for me!
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:55 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Works for me!
So are we going to see a version with two SLS's (that would make a great floorstander, and definitely add more oomph) ?
I am wondering if Peerless' own HDS tweeter might be a better match too (it is more sensitive than 27TDFC and supposedly can be crossed lower). It is more expensive though.
Old 3rd July 2009, 01:42 PM   #119
diyAudio Moderator

No, there will not be a 2 woofer version, unless someone else builds it.

I spoke with John about it, he says it not worth the trouble. Because fo the baffle size you don't really gain much with a second woofer - and you start to run into polar response problems when trying to combine it with the tweeter.

And any way, the tweeter always runs out of steam before the Peerless woofer, so why worry?
Old 17th November 2009, 01:54 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

These speakers look great and I'm considering building them but my living room is 3800cu ft. Is that too big for these? The living room is pretty much a box with 10 foot ceilings.

Any thoughts on these compared to the hawthorne audio silver iris speakers?

Hide this!Advertise here!