Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2014, 07:06 PM   #1041
diyAudio Member

Default No luck yet!

Juhazi.... Thanks for posting some European raw driver sources. Unfortunately not much available in a high Q 12" or 15". The Peerless 12" is available and that's about it. And at over 100 euro's each plus shipping and tax it's not cheap.

I will continue to look around and hopefully find something in a reasonably priced high Q 15".

John
Old 28th January 2014, 07:57 PM   #1042
diyAudio Member

Hi John

Maybe Fane has some drivers in their cheaper series
that Will do the trick.

Best regards
Uwe
Old 4th February 2014, 04:31 AM   #1043
diyAudio Member

Default Fane SOVEREIGN 15-250

Hi all!
How about this unit - Fane SOVEREIGN 15-250 (Fane International, a comprehensive range of matchless chassis loudspeakers)? In our local music store ~110 USD each.

Best regards, Albert.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fane Sovereign 15250 DS030513.pdf (796.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf fane_sovereign_15-250.PDF (96.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 5th February 2014, 07:13 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

Default Compare to Carver ALS, Triad OB 6.5en?

I have just finished reading the entire thread.
Thanks John Bush. You are very generous to share you expertise. Thanks to Pano for organizing the material and to all who have contributed.
I am new to the DYI movement.
Has anyone compared either the Manzinita or the Manzinita Ultra to either the Carver Amazing Loudspeakers or the Triad OB 6.5en?
I ask because these are the speakers I am currently using. I am interested in trying my hand at speaker building.
Also, has anyone tried using either the Manzinita or the Manzinita Ultra as speakers for an acoustic guitar amp? I realize that it would be difficult to carry around, but it might work for a regular gig.
Peace,
Rip
Old 22nd March 2014, 05:59 PM   #1045
diyAudio Member

I am just starting my build of the Manzanita (as updated as of post #455).
Old 22nd March 2014, 11:06 PM   #1046
diyAudio Member

Default Manzanita Build

BeauB...

Thanks for your post! I think you will enjoy the project as so many have over the past few years. The only update of substance is there is some consensus that L2 could be a bit larger, say 2.5 MH. Other than that, pretty much status quo.

Good luck with your construct and please let us know how it goes and your impressions relative to performance.

John
Old 22nd March 2014, 11:15 PM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Busch View Post
BeauB...

Thanks for your post! I think you will enjoy the project as so many have over the past few years. The only update of substance is there is some consensus that L2 could be a bit larger, say 2.5 MH. Other than that, pretty much status quo.

Good luck with your construct and please let us know how it goes and your impressions relative to performance.

John
John,

Thank you so much for responding and letting me know about the recommended change.

I hope you do not mind a new guy question.

Using the Erse Super Q 20 mH 16 AWG inductor as the low pass filter, how does one determine the frequencies that will be handled by the Peerless?

Sorry, most probably know this stuff in their sleep; but I am a far way from that.

Regards,

Beau
Old 23rd March 2014, 04:24 PM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Sorry - one more question (famous last words) - it appears both drivers are surfaced mounted. Is there a reduction is sound quality if the drivers are recessed to sit flush? I assume surface mounting was done for a reason, and maybe that was just ease of building, but maybe it was for sound affecting purposes.
Old 23rd March 2014, 05:32 PM   #1049
diyAudio Member

Default Manzanita Questions....

-6 db point for the Peerless using a 20 mh inductor is about 750 HZ. This is a combination of the natural roll off of the woofer coupled with the 1st order induced by... the inductor. So you end up with a 2nd order acoustic roll off. This is why the Vifa uses a reverse phase crossover topology.

As for surface mounting, the Peerless is designed to be mounted that way. It has a shallow and smooth flange integrated into it's frame. Nice for those who do not have a router. Just do a round cut out of the correct dimension and your done.

As for the Vifa.... the only weakness of the driver (given it's cost and performance) is the frame (flange) is notched on the corners making it difficult to flush mount. But the flange is fairly thin so the added diffraction effects are not all that great. The wide flat baffle and offset positioning help to minimize un-wanted diffraction effects. However, the Vifa can benefit from a flush mounting. I have done that experimentally and it does measure a bit better when flush mounted.

You can experiment with thin open cell foam sheet surrounding the flange when surfaced mounted to improve the diffraction situation. A circle of foam the same thickness as the Vifa flange about 7"-8" in diameter does slightly improve the performance. YMMV!!

Hope this helps!
Old 23rd March 2014, 05:51 PM   #1050
diyAudio Member

John,

Yes that helps, and I very much appreciate it.

I wish there was a faster way to learn .....

Beau

Hide this!Advertise here!