4-ohm Speakers on 6-ohm Amp? (newbie question)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
troystg said:
Or just throw a 2 Ohm 10-20 watt resistor (NON inductive!) in series with each speaker.

So this would increase impedance above the danger level for my (not-so-great) amp. What's the tradeoff? Lower sensitivity? Some distortion? I'm still trying to wrap my knuckle-dragging mechanical brain around the whole impedance thing.

BTW, thanks all for the well-considered answers. I appreciate hearing both sides.

Electrically the 2 Ohm resistors will make your 4 Ohm speakers "safe" for your amp with the added bonus of a more resistive load and less reactive.

Sonicly, if your amp isn't rated for 4 Ohms I seriously doubt the front end source is much better and an extra resistor (QUALITY NON-INDUCTIVE) should not be audible. Not a put down of your equipment mind you, just a simple assumption. We all start somewhere and at least you are smart enough to ask. In 20 yrs I have let my share of the magic smoke out learning. Would have been MUCH better on the gear had the internet been around back then.

Keep in mind this forum has geniuses and idiots (me), perfectionists and slobs. You will get all sorts of comments and answers.. Average them out, use good judgment.

Something like this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/non-inductive-resistor-index.cfm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.