Old Scan Speak drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and again

Attachments

• diy-variovent.jpg
    diy-variovent.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,050
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as I wrote before ,series xover is used ; like never before - I can't hear xover point;

in time when in my country was Dynaudio mania (for some circles,at least) I was to young to have not just that,but any sort of money.......so I didn't have opportunity to hear series xovers at the best;
this pair of spks started my later xperiments with that type of xovers and I'll hardly use parallel from now....except for 6db/oct when needed or for PA speakers.......

I have intention to put these drivers in TQWT ,just because I can still hear too much boxiness ,especially in middle part of spectrum.

but-again-these two drivers are so nicely blended .................;)

I started searching for 'denmark' and 'skan-speak' and 'alnico'.

This is what I found! (this thread)

Turns out I bought a set of perfectly working Dynaco A-50's for $30, at a junk store. The veneer can be rescued, and the grilles are intact. Drivers are perfect. I was the first person to take them apart.

Great design.

I just bought the same speakers

Hi Choky !
I just got the same ITT D 235 SD speakers together with B&O Beocenter I've bought. Drivers are in perfect shape they sound really nice. I am musician and I'd say their sound is very natural, nothing's exaggerated.
Cosidering that theese speakers are ~20 years old I'd like to renovate them maybe even use the drivers with new boxes.
Did you change boxes of your ITT's Choky? If so, what did you change to ??
Greetings from Copenhagen !

Attachments

• p1050223.jpg
    p1050223.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 700
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: I just bought the same speakers

milton99 said:
Hi Choky !
I just got the same ITT D 235 SD speakers together with B&O Beocenter I've bought. Drivers are in perfect shape they sound really nice. I am musician and I'd say their sound is very natural, nothing's exaggerated.
Cosidering that theese speakers are ~20 years old I'd like to renovate them maybe even use the drivers with new boxes.
Did you change boxes of your ITT's Choky? If so, what did you change to ??
Greetings from Copenhagen !

for start - change all elko caps in xover to decent film ones , and you'll be surprised with difference ..... more fluid and natural sound .....

I didn't have time to change boxes , but I intend to ....... somewhere - in loudspeaker forum - we agree that only solution gor these spks are really big bass reflex boxes ........ I'll try to find these posts or files in my PC .......... you can try your search capabilities also ;)

and - yes - ya are lucky bstrd !

:clown:

Thanks for answer ! I think I found the posts you meant.. the oes about aperiodic enclosures ?

Previous owner wanted to throw theese speakers away so I got them for free with my Beocenter. I also wanted to switch imediately to something from B&O until I've put Beethoven string quartets on :)

Unfortunately I don't know much about speakers in general.. So I've no idea what is xover or film caps :( Is ther any dictionary for beginner here ?
I didn't manage to take the drivers out of the cover sause beside screws there seems to be a lot of glue..?
I'd really like to renovate theese speakers. I've been fixing some electronics before but just as a hobby (succesfully though)..
Or maybe fixing my ITT's by myself is not a good idea ?

Scan-Speak started by making drivers alone.Since they weren't happy with neither the SEAS nor the Philips tweeters,they started making their own dome tweeter.Later they made drivers for ITT and Ortofon to name a few.Scan Sonic was their own complete loudspeaker range in 1975.

The ITT "dual-chamber" boxes came in three different sizes,and with different vents.

SD stands for Symmetric Drive,an invention from 1974 by Ragnar Lian.It consists of a copper cylinder around the magnet.

Another pair found in the Netherlands !!!

Hi all,

I just purchased a pair of black ITT D 235 SD 's.

They sound great, as expected, but high tones seem to go not as high as the tweeters of my B&W560 ? Seems like these gradually fall off above 10 Khz (could it be the 36uF elco in the series filter design?)

All in all I wonder if these have the vario-vent already built in. When I read this thread I get confused about the DIY variovent...is it there or not or has this speaker just two chambers with a vent? When I knock on the side of the speaker I notice that the sound changes a little below the middle as if there is a construction inside at that height.

I tried to get the front off, but it seems like its not really ment to be dismantled. Can I try brute force here without total destruction ?

Any advice/experience would be helpfull.

Best regards

Michel

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Another pair found in the Netherlands !!!

vleutmans said:
Hi all,

I just purchased a pair of black ITT D 235 SD 's.

They sound great, as expected, but high tones seem to go not as high as the tweeters of my B&W560 ? Seems like these gradually fall off above 10 Khz (could it be the 36uF elco in the series filter design?)

All in all I wonder if these have the vario-vent already built in. When I read this thread I get confused about the DIY variovent...is it there or not or has this speaker just two chambers with a vent? When I knock on the side of the speaker I notice that the sound changes a little below the middle as if there is a construction inside at that height.

I tried to get the front off, but it seems like its not really ment to be dismantled. Can I try brute force here without total destruction ?

Any advice/experience would be helpfull.

Best regards

Michel

so - you can invite Jacco to your place , and show him pair of decen spks ;)

anyway - yellow variovents you can see in few first posts of thread aren't original ....... I made them (according to original Dynaudio Variovent dimensions ) , and mount them on back side ..... in upper half of enclosure ;

yes - box have two chambers ; with sort of felt as barriere between them ;

look at pictures again;

it will be helpful if you post some pictures , even if I expect that both drivers are sealed to box with some rubber-like glue ;

you can pry them off only if you cut that glue around perimeter of driver ( carefully with knife) and then try to pry them out , working slowly around with two wide screwdrivers ; you'll certainly damage somewhat plate around drivers , but thats price

look at xover - compare it with my schematic , so we can discuss it later

Ortofon 445

Last week I picked up a pair of nice sounding Ortofon 445 (from 1975). It turns out that the crossover and all of the drivers are Scan Speak. The wire, stuffing, and other details look identical to those in Zen Mod's ITT boxes. Seems like ITT and Ortofon were just badges applied to systems designed and built by Scan Speak. Here's a little more info I found on the web--

SCANSONIC - Designed in Denmark

Scansonic™ is a worldwide registered consumer electronics quality brand owned by Dantax A/S, a well-founded company on the OMX Nasdaq Copenhagen Stock
Exchange. Dantax A/S has almost 40 years experience in the international audio and
video consumer electronics industry. Dantax was founded in 1971 on building high
quality hi-fi loudspeakers. Many things have changed since the start in the early 70's
- and today Dantax A/S has evolved into a competitive international company,
offering a wide range of own "in-house" danish designed and developed hi-fi and
home cinema loudspeakers, tabletop radios and hi-fi products under the Scansonic™ brand that matches consumers preferences in regard to modern functional design, quality and attractive pricing.

The Scansonic™ brand has a long history.

The world famous high end loudspeaker driveunit manufacturer ScanSpeak in
Hørning created the Scansonic™ brandname in 1970 for a newly developed line of excellent boxed HiFi loudspeakers.
In 1977 Dantax took over ScanSpeak, the complete production and manufacturing line was moved to Pandrup, and a separate ScanSpeak company was established, where the production of the famous speaker units was continued. In the HiFi world ScanSpeak speaker units were considered to be in a class above the rest mainly due to the incorporated patents, the Hexagonal voicecoils and the Symmetric Drive. Bang & Olufsen had a royalty agreement with Scan Speak and used these patents in their loudspeakers for a number of years.

In 1985 the new factory vanished in a fire, however production was quickly reestablished in new premises in Aabybro. The demand from HiFi purists from all over the world for the Scan Speak high quality loudspeaker driveunits continued and after some years Dantax received an offer from Videbæk Loudspeaker Factory for the whole ScanSpeak operation, and they took over and today ScanSpeak still excist.

The Scansonic™ brand however, remained the property of Dantax Radio A/S

Here's a photo of my 445. I'll post some more photos later
ortofon 445 b.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.