Left wondering - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2007, 03:17 AM   #1
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Left wondering

As mentioned a short while ago I have two Sonics speakers, from junk collection streetside, with 4 X ^' speakers in each one, possibly alnico. The speakers are on 1.5W RMS each and are in series parallel. The boxes about 16" X 19" x 4", with rear removed so that they are open. The speakers are virtually one in each corner, not grouped closely together and there is a cone tweeter in the centre. They are connected to and old Akai amp and even older Thorn receiver. I keep going back to them!!!! Why do these sound so good. Just about everything must be wrong with them!!

For the Australians out there, I was listening to PBS 106.7 Fm, Melbourne, this morning. The Saturday jazz programme. At one point they played a recording that was actually recorded in their studio yesterday. Drums. bass, trumpet and sax. It was so clear and so balanced with the exception that the drums may have been a little weak but some would prefer this. Why do we not get this clarity and prescence on most of the stuff we buy???

I like mainly jazz, a little Italian opera, pipe organ music, and a smattering of classical, 50s rockand roll and some music from the late sixties and early seventies, pink floyd, ten years after, the animals, the doors, that sort of thing.

I love the sound of open baffles but the size of them and the fact that they have to be used over a metre out from the rear wall does not go down to well, I also still like the emotion of horns. Would a 15" bass unit two way with a CD horn in a very open plan house give the clarity that I hear from these old speakers open baffle. I am prepared to wait until I can afford relatively decent units before I build. Sorry if this is a bit long and look forward to any comments.
jamikl

Hide this!Advertise here!