Paradigm 9s? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2007, 12:18 AM   #1
meistah is offline meistah  Canary Islands
diyAudio Member

Default Paradigm 9s?

Was thinking about picking up a pair for $100... will listen to them before i buy, but im just wondering in advance if they are good speakers (factoring in their price, lol)... they are an older version of the 9s, using an 8" woofer, 8" passive radiator, and 1" tweeter... cant find the pic i had of them but im sure someone has heard them before.

edit: *pic*

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th October 2007, 01:53 AM   #2
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Should this be in the "full range" category?

I had a pair of 7se's back about '90, got 'em for about 350 bucks and paired with an NAD receiver they were an absolute bargain. They were efficient and were great all 'rounders. At 100 bucks the 9's should be a steal.

I'd look at replacing the caps in the crossovers, though.

Old 20th October 2007, 02:54 AM   #3
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Full range catagory?

BHD, I guess it depends on what some people percieve as fullrange. A single driver or full range sounding loudspeaker system. ASFAIK, in the "loudspeaker" cat would be a more suitable place for this type of query and not really anywhere DIY...

having said that:

The Paradigm early speakers , just as the PSB and Energy loudspeakers of the time all benefited from the "NRC" sound. Some consider that the "flat" frequency response was desireable while others didn't. Many have complained that the top end is "too revealing" and can sound grainy when pushed. All of the above makers worked hard at taming this, and when used with suitably good amps or speakers can sound very good.

Who cares what the crossover frequency is. Doesn't really matter as long as they are working correctly. I agree with BHD, capacitors should be replaced with new ones of at least the same quality and specification. An email to Paradigm might yield a little more information.

depending on your amp, $100 is a no-brainer if in good condition.
Old 20th October 2007, 04:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

will be powering them with a nakamichi amp that i am getting as a gift not sure what the model is but im sure it will be a good power source... i think for 100 bucks i cant go wrong anyways right..thanks for the input guys
Old 20th October 2007, 06:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Nakamichi amp (integrated) or reciever or power amp?

the "Stasis" recievers are quite good. I sold em when new and lusted after one, and bought a nice example for $60 landed at my house, this past year

The Nakamichi AV amps and recievers are also good as are the Stasis power amps. unsure of anything older or much newer.

The Nakamichis generally are very musical and substantially more revealing than (for example) NAD, nicer sounding than pretty much all Harmon Kardon integrated amps from the same era (except perhaps the PM665, a killer of an amp---I'd like one sometime). So for a total of $100 you end up with a good set of older speakers (which were never junk, and at worst can be called old good stuff, and probably) a nice sounding amp or reciever.

now all you need is a Sony "greystation, some decent home brew interconnects and speaker wire, and perhaps a turntable... it will be a very satisfying system and very "listenable". I hope you enjoy
Old 20th October 2007, 06:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

All I know is that it has 5.1 dolby digital, tv/cd/dvd/subwoofer etc outputs... Ive seen a picture of it, it looks rather large and expensive, so i have high hopes for it
Im assuming you mean a playstation... I have a ps2, but the system will be run through a htpc, which has some sort of creative external sound card hub..thing...(I think thats the technical term for it at least )
just looking into creating my own interconnects, looks to be a decent project
Old 20th October 2007, 11:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Nak amp...

if similar to this then quite excellent.Whoever is giving you that should get a nice "thank you"

The Sony "greystation", the PS1, #schp100X series makes an excellent cd player , with essentially no work. It will give very expensive cd players a run for the money.
Attached Images
File Type: gif nakamichi_av10.gif (36.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 20th October 2007, 01:14 PM   #8
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Quote:
BHD, I guess it depends on what some people percieve as fullrange. A single driver or full range sounding loudspeaker system. ASFAIK, in the "loudspeaker" cat would be a more suitable place for this type of query and not really anywhere DIY...
Agreed. I think this part of DIY audio mainly deals with speakers built with full range drivers, so yeah, I think this thread should be moved.

Hide this!Advertise here!