Lower midrange for ATC SM75-150S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2007, 03:15 AM   #1
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Lower midrange for ATC SM75-150S

I found a good (define good, lol) deal on the ATC SM75-150S and would like to use them as an upper midrange paired with the Raal 140-15D (getting in on the group buy, nice!). I've got a pair of Aurasound NS15-994-4As for subbass duty, but the lower midrange drive units are still to be decided.

The ATC looks like it'd enjoy a 48dB XO at 600hz and the Aurasounds can go about as high as I'd need them.

Whats a good lower midrange for them? I remember Shinobiwan mentioning that they're really picky on driver combinations. Would the cone material matter? A pair of W22EXs per side (150-600) would be really efficient and apparently they're the lowest distortion midrange (measured over on htguide). Another option would be a pair of Scanspeak 18Ws...or Ushers.

I'm not sure, what kind of driver should I be looking for to pair up with these?
Old 19th October 2007, 03:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

From what I remember, it was the metal cone SEAS Shin had a problem with originally, perhaps the Nextel 8" would be a more suitable match?

But I'm sure if we wait, we will hear from the man himself.
Old 19th October 2007, 04:14 AM   #3
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you used the Accuton 44-8 instead you could combine it with a larger Accuton and needn`t worry about integration.
Old 19th October 2007, 04:32 AM   #4
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by el`Ol
If you used the Accuton 44-8 instead you could combine it with a larger Accuton and needn`t worry about integration.
too low sensitivity
Old 19th October 2007, 07:37 AM   #5
Fosti is offline Fosti  Germany
diyAudio Member

thadman,

save the money for the RAAL and spend it on a good 12" PHL bass and a "cheap" SEAS TAF 27 plus like here: http://www.klein-hummel.com/klein-hu...monitors_O500C

Cheers,
Christoph
Old 19th October 2007, 08:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If it were me I'd be looking at a pair of SS 18W's, then you would have my ultimate driver lineup
Old 19th October 2007, 10:16 AM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Sure, a couple of 18W might match, but lowish sensitivity
Supravox 215GMF might too, but only takes 40watt
I am sure I would use a Beyma 10", which one I dont know
Or if you can get hold of the 11" TAD TL-1102 alnico
Or maybe the Eminence BassLite(CH2010neo) 10" with Hemp cone
Or even Eminence 10" Legend B102 might do

maybe, maybe , maybe

At the moment I am interested in 18" with midrange CD ... surely could use that Raal too
Old 19th October 2007, 07:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5th element
From what I remember, it was the metal cone SEAS Shin had a problem with originally, perhaps the Nextel 8" would be a more suitable match?
Yes, I could never get the L22 or W22 to sound right in conjunction with the ATC mid. Both the mid and the bass are all good drivers in isolation but just have different sonic traits that aren't entirely compatible. Maybe I just screwed up and in which case I would be happy to be proved wrong.

The ATC mid is quite lively and dynamic so naturally a driver with a similar tonality will make for a good match. Paper cones immediately spring to mind as the good ones in this breed seem to have a natural dynamic streak but aren't necessarily as transparent or detailed as those Seas drivers so swings and roundabouts really. Its important to make the system more than the sum of its parts and careful driver matching is essential here and is sometimes neglected I feel.

I found ATC's own bass drivers to be a great match which is hardily surprising given that they were engineered to be partnered. Many others choices will work well though.

These are just my own experiences so please don't take them as gospel. Experiment a little and find what works for you.
Old 19th October 2007, 07:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fosti
thadman,

save the money for the RAAL and spend it on a good 12" PHL bass and a "cheap" SEAS TAF 27 plus like here: http://www.klein-hummel.com/klein-hu...monitors_O500C

Cheers,
Christoph
How can you speak such words?

Spend on the RAAL stick it with the 12" PHL and 3" ATC and have something even better.

Lovely monitors you linked to there though.
Old 19th October 2007, 07:28 PM   #10
obiwan is offline obiwan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Where can you order ATC drivers anyway? I'm in Australia, but the only place I can find online is Wilmslow Audio in the UK, and all they have is the mid only.

Hide this!Advertise here!