Lower midrange for ATC SM75-150S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a good (define good, lol) deal on the ATC SM75-150S and would like to use them as an upper midrange paired with the Raal 140-15D (getting in on the group buy, nice!). I've got a pair of Aurasound NS15-994-4As for subbass duty, but the lower midrange drive units are still to be decided.

The ATC looks like it'd enjoy a 48dB XO at 600hz and the Aurasounds can go about as high as I'd need them.

Whats a good lower midrange for them? I remember Shinobiwan mentioning that they're really picky on driver combinations. Would the cone material matter? A pair of W22EXs per side (150-600) would be really efficient and apparently they're the lowest distortion midrange (measured over on htguide). Another option would be a pair of Scanspeak 18Ws...or Ushers.

I'm not sure, what kind of driver should I be looking for to pair up with these?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sure, a couple of 18W might match, but lowish sensitivity
Supravox 215GMF might too, but only takes 40watt
I am sure I would use a Beyma 10", which one I dont know
Or if you can get hold of the 11" TAD TL-1102 alnico
Or maybe the Eminence BassLite(CH2010neo) 10" with Hemp cone:D
Or even Eminence 10" Legend B102 might do

maybe, maybe , maybe :cannotbe:

At the moment I am interested in 18" with midrange CD ... surely could use that Raal too:D

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
5th element said:
From what I remember, it was the metal cone SEAS Shin had a problem with originally, perhaps the Nextel 8" would be a more suitable match?

Yes, I could never get the L22 or W22 to sound right in conjunction with the ATC mid. Both the mid and the bass are all good drivers in isolation but just have different sonic traits that aren't entirely compatible. Maybe I just screwed up and in which case I would be happy to be proved wrong.

The ATC mid is quite lively and dynamic so naturally a driver with a similar tonality will make for a good match. Paper cones immediately spring to mind as the good ones in this breed seem to have a natural dynamic streak but aren't necessarily as transparent or detailed as those Seas drivers so swings and roundabouts really. Its important to make the system more than the sum of its parts and careful driver matching is essential here and is sometimes neglected I feel.

I found ATC's own bass drivers to be a great match which is hardily surprising given that they were engineered to be partnered. Many others choices will work well though.

These are just my own experiences so please don't take them as gospel. Experiment a little and find what works for you.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I'd like to use a 15, but am a little hesitant using one up to 600hz. at 600hz, the wavelengths are about twice as long as the cone diameter (which would suggest omnidirectional behavior)...am I forgetting anything? One of the main goals of this build is smooth power response, and I do NOT want to sacrifice it for low end. Do they have the output, dynamic range, and distortion performance of dual smaller midranges (8-6") in the midrange and midbass (ie 100/150hz to 600hz). The Aurasound is fully capable of crossing as high I'd need it, so sensitivity (and power compression) is favored in fair of sheer volume displacement.

tinitus said:
This is not going very good ... are we forgetting that he is aiming at the "S" version ATC ... 95db ??
And please forget about crossing the Aurasound "as high as you want" ... maybe so from specs and graph, but reality may be much different

As high as I'd like for a subwoofer. I'm sorry I should have been more specific. Most high inductance subs don't like being taken over 60hz. This driver should have NO problem tackling 250hz, thus I concluded that it'll go as high as I'd ever want or need.

tinitus said:
You dont seem to like any 10-12" PA drivers ? ... I dont see there is any way around them

What have I said that led you to believe I dislike 10-12" PA drivers? The Aurasound is going to be used as a subwoofer, I have no plans for crossing it to the ATC midrange.

tinitus said:

There is a certain myth around the ATC mid, but to be honest it dont impress me THAT much ... BUT the possibility of 95db sensitivity makes it an interesting candidate

I've found no better subject evaluation of a true midrange. I'm aware that it is not a midwoofer and plan on crossing it accordingly, thus the reason for this thread.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ok, yeah I was a bit quick on that one ... only possible to edit fore a short while, so must be carefull with the words;)

I am looking into a high SPL 3way and am narrowing it down to either 15" or 18" woofer
Using a sub makes 10-12" woofers a better option ... yet there may be a question of how much BSC you will need ... I suppose with bigger woofers less BSC is needed
You dont want to loose too much of the ATC sensitivity ... so if some BSC is needed you might end up with a 12" or maybe even double 10" woofers
Unfortunately many interesting and effektive 10-12" midwoofer dont seem to have much lowend ... yeah, double 10" might be the way, allthough I am not keen on using two drivers playing the same frequency

Just thoughts, please go on:)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Does that mean that you will be able to give midbass amps exstra gain ... HOLTON is making such a thing and SKA makes active xo with possible exstra gain (could stress the driver) ... or else attenuating the mid will result in loss of sensitivity and it will all be for nothing, or am I missing something

18Sound active impedanse control unit ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.