Lower midrange for ATC SM75-150S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A passive version

I bought a used Proac Studio Tower a while back - which uses the ATC mid (16ohm - non-s version), the SB75-234 LC version and a SS tweeter.

It sounded pretty good, but my plan was to clone the ATC 50 (passive version).

I bought the Seas tweeter ATC use (T25-003) and re-constructed a heavy front baffle with the driver orientated as ATC had them (offset mid/tweeter to the bass driver).

Anyway, I did not mess around with the xover between the bass and mid (kept the original Proac design) but obviously had to modify for the new tweeter.

I am still in process... but it sounds great! The bass setup is a bit odd as the Proac design is based on a EBS design - which tends to be a natural sounding, but a little light weight.

For interest sake (I am always interested in designers who use ATC) a local company here in Ottawa has released a speaker using the ATC mid and a Mundorf tweeter!

http://www.tetraspeakers.com/pages/606.html

Thet say they cross it over at 1K!?!? Insane! (or it's a typo). And yes - they are using the S version.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
newfinish said:
I haven't heard the atc yet but some tell me it's dynamic fast loud but is it musicaly rich?
does it tend to be lean because of the dynamics?

i was suggested the atc and the raal tweeter by solen,with the eton 11"x2, does anybody know what kind of xover slopes i will need?

Musically rich? What's that?

The ATC mid plays what's on the recording, it doesn't suffer junk recordings. So its only musically rich when the source material is.

3-3.5Khz 4th order would work OK with the little RAAL 70-10 and 500hz highpass is the best place to start for lowest distortion on the ATC.

lol
I'm not so good in describing music.

i know what you mean if the recording is good,and what i mean when the recording is good sometimes i heard speakers sound thin not rich like the good recording was on other speakers. i hesitate on the mid AT 5" or 6"or the ATC for that richness...but saw that your preferance was the atc like a lot of others here in the forum...:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.