reducing bass output in a ported bookshelf speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of inexpensive bookshelf speakers which I was planning to use in conjunction with an old small sub that I had lying around.

However, these bookshelf's have a bass port on the back and sound too bassy. I would have liked sealed speakers which are a little lacking on the low end, but have a good mid and high so that I can use them with my sub.

What I plan to do is to open these speakers up and fill them with some filling (I got some ideas from other posts on this site) and seal up the bass port.

Does this idea sound sane? Is this advisable? Will this reduce the boomy low bass?

Thanks in advance

Sara

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Yes, and yes, though before opening it up, try literally 'sticking a sock in it' (the vent), which will accomplish the same thing only easier and you can tune it to your liking by trying different sock, towel or open cell foam materials. Filling them with drinking straws of ~the same length as the vent is a good one too. Typically once you're satisfied with the sound it's basically a sealed alignment except with some of the vent's gain.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.