Got a box and speakers but need help with the insides.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at putting a box together for a couple of drivers I have here.

I'll start with a picture.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The box dimensions are constrained by what I can get in my attic computer room. The slope on the back is to fit in with the slope of the attic walls. The speaker will be place in a corner.

External dimensions are 300mm wide, 1200mm tall and 400mm deep (1100mm on the back wall, 300mm on top plane).

From the pic you'll see the 4 midrange and tweeter in a box at the top of the speaker of which I've already experimented with and am happy with the sound/layout on a test baffle.

The problem I have is deciding what to do with the bass section. The driver I have is the Peerless 831079 (click for pdf tech sheet).

Rough estimations lead me to believe that internal volume after taking into account drivers and bracing is around 80litres or just a bit more. Putting the driver into UniBox shows a vented design tuned to around 24.3Hz gives a good response down to 30Hz

I can't help but wonder if a horn or transmission line design would be a good thing but looking at the numbers I'm not sure. Being new to speaker building and even newer to horn design it's looking like I won't have enough line legnth for a horn (really need help on that one). Haven't done calcs on a transmission line but estimate a 3.5-4 metre line lenth with 3 folds with a pipe cross section of 264mm x 70mm.

I'm looking to cross the bass at 500Hz.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as to what avenue I could take.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.