Open Baffles at RMAF-07

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of the few very good systems I heard at RMAF-07, three were open baffle. (There were a lot of good systems, few were very good)

So here is a thread to discuss those 3 designs and learn from them for our own projects.

The 3 systems were:

Nelson Pass - Lowther
Tall mid size baffle
1 Lowther full range,
2x10" Seas woofers.
Active filtering.

Lyngdorf
The DP-1 .
Slim double curve baffle
6.5" Magnesium mid/woofer
Revelator tweeter. 10" Bass units against the wall.

Manzanita 12"
A friend who brought 2 OB systems just for fun.
The small system put 90% of the speakers at RMAF to shame (but not the 2 above).
2 way passive with
Peerless SLS 830669 - 12" Woofer
Vifa D27TG45 1" dome tweeter.
6 element Passive crossover.
About $200 per side, all drivers, parts and wood included!

I will try to assemble more details on these 2 systems. Please feel free to contribute. There is a lot to be learned from these 3 systems.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I saw a couple that might qualify:

The Bastanis, which are labeled as OB and have some
kind of grill cloth in the rear.

Attachments

• bastanis.jpg
    bastanis.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,678
I made the mistake of reading the Stereophile "blog" of the RMAF. I must say that I was embarrassed. There was nothing technical in the descriptions...only pricing that would make a subprime lender blush...and I thought that this industry had lost its collective mind ten years ago.

Boy, was I wrong.

Barnum said that there was a sucker born every minute; that was when the U.S. had ~80 million people. As we approach 300 million, I take it that Barnum's timeframe has shrunk somewhat.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
ashok said:
Any pictures of the Manzanita 12" ?

Unfortunately not yet. I did not take my camera to the room. But I'll get some. They are not pretty - made of unfinished chip board. Just a 12" and an offset dome tweeter on a baffle about 15" x 22". Small wings. Would not be hard to pretty them up.

I'll get photos and specs ASAP.

BTW, the AudioKenesis room was one of the best at RMAF. Duke's got it going on. :cool: Not included here simply because they don't match the subject of the thread.

Nelson Pass said:
I saw a couple that might qualify:

The Bastanis, which are labeled as OB and have some
kind of grill cloth in the rear.

Form the shape of the "enclosure" and what I can tell of the "rear grill" it looks more like and acoustic resistance enclosure (u-frame), which, if done correctly, will yield a quasi-cardioid radiation pattern.

This is somewhat similar to the format I am using for the ICTA, which will extend the u-frame bass format of the NaO through the midrange as well.

jacq. said:
Hi John, they do not appear to be that innovative. There system is discribe as being a pro mid-wf used full range complimented by dipole tweets and an active sealed side firing woofer cab.

Why not take a peek at there web sites galery;

www.bastanis.com

Regards,

Jacq.

Well I guess they are not an acoustic resistance enclosure. The Bastanis seems to be the direction Lynn O. is heading in the Beyond the Ariel thread. High efficiency.

I would like to see the crossover for the Manzanita..........I just finished a 3 way with the Peerless SLS 830669 woofer.....My simulations show a cone break-up beyond the stopband in the 2000 Hz range.............Would appreciate seeing how that might have been dealt with in the Manzanita.........Omni

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Omni - should have the crossover details soon. I remember the Peerless had a huge iron core inductor on it, must have weighed more than the driver. Something like a 13mH 14AWG monster.

The Peerless does have a nasty breakup peak, and it was the only obvious fault of the Manzanita. Could hear it from time to time on loud vocals or piano hits.

The crossover was very under-lapped, with a big hole in the mids. This mid hole worked great in the hotel room where most flatter speakers where much too bright and forward in the midrange - shouty. The room response filled in the the mids nicely.

There would be several ways to deal with the bad behavior of the Peerless 12"

• * More complex crossover with traps
    * Get out sooner with another tweeter. I would choose the SS D3806/8200 mid-tweeter that mates soooo well with 12" woofers. A lot more money, and less sparkle, but a gorgeous midrange. Real magic.
    * Get out even sooner with a full range driver. ~250 would be resonable with a FR driver. I'm working on something like that.

So how does the Peerless treat you in the 3 way combo? Is it in a box?

Re: Curved baffles?

mac-attack said:
Hi,

Noticed that the Lyngdorf DP-1 has a slightly curved baffle, so does the Jamo R909 open baffle speaker even though that speaker has a much wider baffle. What really the incentive for the curved baffle, is it only a visual design feature?

Regards,
M.A.

R909

The curved baffle flattens the response. In my Big Audio Dynamite thread, I modeled a dipole of approximately the same size as the DP-1, but with a square baffle. The problem with narrow baffles is that response "blips" occur at higher and higher frequencies as they get smaller. Putting in the effor to use a non-rectangular baffle will help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.