Manger vs. F200A - sick experiment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all!

I have an idea for a sick experiment: Put Fostex F200A and Manger in a box with 6dB active x-over and see where, subjectively, is the best x-over point. Will the Manger end up as supertweeter? Or the Fostex as subwoofer? I didn`t post this in the fullrange forum because one could end up with a conventional woofer/tweeter setup, just crossed flatter. What do you think, what would be the result?
I don`t assume anyone has the two lying around.
Currently I am not sick enough to do the test, but this may change. And whatever would be the outcome of the experiment, one could build a really nice box with one-cap-one-coil x-over at the end.

Greets,
Oliver

If you don't need any crossover and just ONE driver I see where you can save money.
But if you use TWO expensive (almost fullrange) drivers with ALMOST NO crossover (= different to NO crossover) then you won't save anything.
You then better use a good woofer (much much cheaper than each of these two) paired with either one of these fullrangers.

This thingie would then be a FAST system, i.e. Fullrange And Subwoofer Topology (OK - the use of the therm sub is a little exagerated).

You could even use a simple transient-improved active crossover with this arrangement.

Regards

Charles

"...if you use TWO expensive (almost fullrange) drivers with ALMOST NO crossover (= different to NO crossover) then you won't save anything."

If you use the two drivers with "almost no" crossover as opposed to the same two drivers with "more" crossover than necessary then you are still saving cost and complexity - that's all I meant.

Cheers

Don`t understand me wrong, I would only see it as a really successful outcome if it would turn out that the ideal x-over frequency is somewhere in the middle. The Fostex as subwoofer or the Manger as supertweeter would also in my eyes be a waste of money.

I'm confused, are you proposing a speaker system using the Fostex and the Manger as a serious design, or just as a test to see which has the better midrange? If you're suggesting these as a system, then I agree with the others, it's expensive, and the two together wouldn't likely be as good as either with a tweeter or woofer.

Fostex F200A
8 ohm impedance
90dB sensitivity at 1W/1m (3.3ft)
$373.70 each

Manger MSW Transducer
4 or 8 ohm 91dB neodymium magnets anodised silver £515.00 each

I had an idea for an inexpensive single cap/coil system. Use a pair of CSS WR125ST speakers with an FR125S. Put the crossover at the baffle step frequency, so that the dual woofers supply 3dB of BSC, with no need for any additional components. Dual WR125's can supply some solid bass, and the coherency should be ideal given all three drivers are almost identical. Not as fancy as a Manger/Fostex, but inexpensive and an easy 8 ohm load (considering Fostex speakers don't get on too well with transistor amps).

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Manger would probably be nice crossed high, above 500hz
Also the 8" Fostex Alnico might be fine up to this
But crossing that high may be incoherent
The Manger may be too good at this, making the 8" a very difficult match
But you will still be left with no bass and due to BSC also "expencive" loss of sensitivity :D
Might be better to use a 12" Fostex and cross it 300-500hz
I think it have been suggested

Its all a compromise, no matter what you do

audiobomber said:
I'm confused, are you proposing a speaker system using the Fostex and the Manger as a serious design, or just as a test to see which has the better midrange?

It is mainly thought as an unorthodox test which of two widebanders has the better midrange. As I said I would only see it as a recommendable system if it turned out that the ideal x-over is in the middle, which I don`t believe it would happen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.