2 way with HF horn and 10-12" LF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to make a 2way system with a HF horn and a regular 10-12" LF driver.

I do not know a lot about HF compression drivers, but so far have looked at:

Radian
Beyma
BMS
TAD

x-over point around 800hz. looking for wideband HF driver to 20Kz and flat response.

95-100 db sensitivity.

LF driver 10-12" but unsure yet which one or manufacter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
just like what I am interested in. My findings:
- you seem to be in USA, well then for flat HF driver up to 20khz , the ceramic magnet BMS 4590 is safe bet, for what you need a 2" exit horn. Can be bought for somewhat cheap at assistance audio as second hand / ex-demo .
- 18Sound have some high sensitivity 12" drivers what are suprisingly linear in the midbass region.

Im searching for an 1.4" HF driver to use with the 18Sound elliptical horn, the neodymium BMS 4594nd seems suited but expensive as well (like the rest of 1.4"-s except the "budget category" BMS 4554) .

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
BMS 4590P-16 New Old Stock $275.00ea at the mentioned site , one used went for 165 Eur on german ebay recently, fair.
i beleive BMS even sells passive x-over to match these at very low pricetag. Im not terribly interested in other HF drivers , would be nice to read an advice for 1.4" -s, esp. BMS 4554 .

They sound, to me atleast, very very nice. Only reason I have the 755nDs is that I got a DEAL on them. Paid pretty the price on US Speakers for both of them...and they were brand new in box. Since getting them, the BMS need to find a new home.

In the house, they should do 5-600 hertz. And they have real treble.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Sorry to interfere in a good discussion ... those compression drivers are very effective ... 110db at least

Most bass oriented 10-12" PA/studio woofers are 95db, at the most ... if you are lucky to find a good one
With this size of drivers and baffle you might not need much BSC ... but I would still consider double woofers

yeah i have looked at the difference in sensitivity of the LF and HF drivers.

Thought i had was is to maybe run 2 LF drivers and have the BSC cutoff point at the 800Hz x-over point.

Add in an Lpad for the HF.

Originally i wanted to do a stand mount system. so, small cuft volume for LF driver. down to 50Hz maybe.

Thanks for info so far.

p.s. i do notice a droop in HF response of a lot of these compression drivers. Is this before adding a horn, and if so will the horn compensate for this?

Or do i need to find a flat response curve without the horn?

any ideas for good 10" and small cuft volume?

Have to look at the graphs to see if they are on a plane wave tube or a horn. Most companies will give both. But you'll have some reduction in the treble on the horn compared to the power rise in the 1-4k hertz range you see in the compression drivers.

If you have the extra money to spend, you could make foam plugs for the horns...this will really help out in the sound department. Will have to compensate or some topend losses there too, but it is really worth it.

Or, you could get some of Dr. Geddes's waveguides with the foam plugs. His are for 1" drivers and he crosses them around 900 hertz in his Summa system. I haven't heard this system per say, but from trying some of the things he talks about makes me believe it would be a nice sounding system.

If you are going to do direct radiating midbasses, I would rally be looking at atleast 12s.

AudioGeek said:
I am looking to make a 2way system with a HF horn and a regular 10-12" LF driver.

I do not know a lot about HF compression drivers, but so far have looked at:

Radian
Beyma
BMS
TAD

x-over point around 800hz. looking for wideband HF driver to 20Kz and flat response.

95-100 db sensitivity.

LF driver 10-12" but unsure yet which one or manufacter.

Keep an eye on my "Big Audio Dynamite" thread. It's a two-way with a 1" compression driver. Midbass is going to be an 8" or a 12", I haven't settled on one yet. I personally prefer neo or alnico compression drivers. So chances are good I'll use BMS neo. I have BMS neo, B&C, Radian and JBL compression drivers on hand here at the house.

AudioGeek said:
Hey patrick,

how do u compensate for the HF rollof of some of these HF compression drivers?

which HF driver has a flat response? or do we equalize it and drop the response lower down?

do not want a shouty HF.

As I understand it, the slowly decaying high frequency response of a compression driver is a byproduct of their massive motor strength. In other words, don't bother looking for a CD with a flat response, you won't find one. Diaphragm material plays a role; beryllium is better than aluminum which is better than titanium.

Most prosound speakers don't bother compensating for the rolloff, since you're throwing away gobs of efficiency. In my "high fidelity" designs I use a passive network to compensate for the rolloff. A simple cap, with a corner frequency that's VERY high will conjugate the rolloff fairly well. In order to work properly, you have to compensate for the impedance, which is tricky.

Over on audiogroupforum there's a crossover for my Unity knockoff that does this, and it's in the thread. (Thread is named '12" woofers in my dash')

The crossover that Tom Danley made for the Lambda Unity does this too; you can get it here.

You can model the crossover with Speaker Workshop quite well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.