Need help building bass cab - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2003, 09:17 PM   #1
abonas is offline abonas  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to abonas
Default Need help building bass cab

I'm new to building loudspeakers and i need some help. I have great woodworking skills and great experience and knowledge in speaker wirering (I work at Jo-Di's car audio in connecticut). Ok here's my idea. I want to pretty much copy the SWR Big Bertha cab style. The 2 drivers I want to use are Eminences Kappa Pro 15 and some kind of high power tweeter. But i don't where to start with programs like WinISD. Help , you can see i'm in a nice delema.
Old 10th February 2003, 10:35 PM   #2
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Default Re: Need help building bass cab

Quote:
Originally posted by abonas
I'm new to building loudspeakers and i need some help. I have great woodworking skills and great experience and knowledge in speaker wirering (I work at Jo-Di's car audio in connecticut). Ok here's my idea. I want to pretty much copy the SWR Big Bertha cab style. The 2 drivers I want to use are Eminences Kappa Pro 15 and some kind of high power tweeter. But i don't where to start with programs like WinISD. Help , you can see i'm in a nice delema.
Build a BIG box, a la Bertha.
Then screw the woofers into it.
It is a good start.
After all you are no beginner.

/halo - a start is a good beginning
Old 10th February 2003, 11:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Hi abonas

From the look of the Kappa's response graph, they have a pretty nasty peak at about 1.6K, and roll off quite quickly after that, so I think you would be looking at using mid drivers as well as your tweeters to get a reasonable sounding box.

As for box size, for a bass reflex you will need about 200/250 litres to get a box big enough to fit two 15" drivers in, and tuning it to about 40 Hz is probably as low as you want to go with the driver's Fs of 36Hz.

As for the software simulations, the best bet is to download a few, see which one you like the best, and then ask for advice. It will then be easier to help.

If you have no idea about the basics of loudspeaker design, then do a search on this site for recomended books on the basics. Much as we try to help, it is too long winded to go into on this forum.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 11th February 2003, 12:18 AM   #4
abonas is offline abonas  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to abonas
I would want to go even as low as 25 hz because i have a five string bass and the low B is arround 27 hz. So pretty much what you are saying is that i should look into getting different drivers for the job. If so which drivers would be best. I must maintain the ammount of drivers to 2 15s and 1 tweeter if i want to copy SWR's Big bertha (not to be confused with a bertha sub) check it out www.swrsound.com . you can I see I need lots of help and i hope this forum could help me.
Old 11th February 2003, 09:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

In my opinion, you don't need to go that low, but you may want to read this thread and this thread for more info on bass guitar speakers.

Good luck!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!