JBL L100 Century Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there all vintage hi fi gurus, thinking of upgrading my speakers (currently own a set of nice modern JAMO's) and thinking of purchasing the JBL L100 century speakers....there are heaps of vintage hi fi buffs that LOVE these speakers, would appreciate anyones feedback if they are worth getting - i use vintage amps only and have a diverse taste in music - how do they sound generally? is it a flat sound or more bright? Hope someone out there can shed some light! Cheers, Andy

If the woofers have foam beware. They are not the originals. The L100 used a D123A woofer which had a pleated and treated cloth surround. You need to pull one of those woofers to see it is indeed a JBL woofer. Could have been replaced with a 128H woofer. If this is true it's not an L100 but a hybrid and the low end may not have the rise at 60Hz that the normal driver has in that cabinet size.

L100 are a home version of the 4311 control monitor. They are voiced to have a specific contour and are not true syudio monitors as they are not flat. That said they can be a real blast and can sound good if set up properly.

Go to

www.audioheritage.org and look for the Product Profile on the L100

Rob:)

In the original L100 they changed the box tuning used in the 4311, to give punch peak, and changed the crossover so the upper roll off peak of the mid driver was not tamed, this to give presence.
They were the best selling speakers in the U.S.A. for several years and there should still be a lot of them around somewhere.
People tell me a favourite trick was to put a fifty Watt 50Hz. sinewave into them, they can apparently take this almost indefinately.
rcw.

I am the original owner of a pair of JBL L100 Century speakers that still look great and sound wonderful. They still have the original foam "waffled" grill covers but they are beginning to crumble and tear and look pathetic. In a purely cosmetic sense, should I consider trying to find replacement covers or just live with these until they completely fall apart? Do you have any idea where I would begin to search for replacements?

A year or two back I saw a pair on Craigslist ($50) in an area not close by, so I contacted a buddy and told him about them, don’t think he realized what they were, never got them...

For as many as they say they sold, you’d think there would be more available.

I have owned a great many speakers.I think the Century L100s have probably been the worst sounding of the lot.No crossover on the woofer so most of what you hear is woofer cone break -up intruding on the midrange and the treble from those tweeters sounds like an arc-welder.
Good woofers and mids but very poorly used.

Last edited:
I have owned a great many speakers.I think the Century L100s have probably been the worst sounding of the lot.No crossover on the woofer so most of what you hear is woofer cone break -up intruding on the midrange and the treble from those tweeters sounds like an arc-welder.
Good woofers and mids but very poorly used.

I agree with that comment.
Troels thought the same, that's why he designed the cross over and box modification.
You can see the link in a few previous posts from many years ago. .
When the renewed version of the classic JBL L-100 was released, I told Troels about that novelty (this was already a few months ago) and I mentioned that it would be interesting if he could evaluate them and give us his opinion on his website. Obviously it was not within his priorities, something I understand perfectly given his commendable task in speakers much elaborated that a classic "three ways"

P.S:

I never understood because people want the sound to come through their eyes.

Who cares about the appearance of the grill ? :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
appropriate names - L100 cloth surround might last a century under ideal conditions - -"Decade" series foam surround ~ "10":D

Of course ! :) Imagine that if my JBL LE14C had not abandoned the previous wing "Lans a Loy" I would not have had to change the foam wings twice in about ..... 35 years?

Out of joke friend, I think what we should evaluate is if there is / was really a significant improvement in the compliance of vintage speakers to incorporate foam wings.

I, after the second restoration, apply generous amounts of liquid silicone in them, it was enough for me ...:(

I've been looking at the new model brochure:

" The newly developed
JT025Ti1 titanium dome tweeter is mated to
a waveguide with an acoustic lens for optimal
integration with....etc

Well ... wave guide, I accept that it may be a specific development for that tweeter, but acoustic lens are those two sticks in front of the dome ? :rolleyes:

No comments on the material of the new wings ......:(

Judging from the photograph, it looks like rubber treated with polymers as they use in car speakers ....(That would have been a good point of sale, I think)

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_fil...assic/JBL_Synthesis_L100_Classic_Brochure.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.