What kind of wood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cloth Ears said:
And, here and here are 2 discussions on what to build out of.

Those 2 threads are a required read. A lot of "discussion". For a horn you are best to use void free plywood.

If you can't get reasonablly priced plywood, a laminate of particle board & HDF will work (ie low budget, make it yourself, 2 ply-wood). Avoid MDF.

dave

planet10 said:
Those 2 threads are a required read. A lot of "discussion". For a horn you are best to use void free plywood.

dave

And, if you're going to make one of those swoopy, curved-surface type horns, then building your own 'ply' from thin pieces of wood/hdf and strong glue will give you a pretty good start.

I'm trying to locate a local business that makes 'moulded ply' at a reasonable price so that I don't have to do this. It makes the curved ares very strong and they don't require much bracing - I used a childrens' bench (in moulded ply) to build a small TL and this worked quite well.

neazoi said:
Ok, I have read most of the thread... It seems to compare MDF and ply.
I do not see anyone comparing these with pure heavy wood...more expensive though...

The consensus of most (but do search to confirm it) is that there are problems associated with solid wood that do not generally make it good for speaker building. Unless it's stable (I think Stradivarius used very old, slow grown wood from the previous "little ice age", good Japanese flute makers use bamboo that's been aging for 100 years), then chances are that it may split or develop cracks during periods of high and low humidity. Depending on the type of wood, it tends to 'sing' or reverberate at various frequencies, whereas the various fibreboards and plys are more 'dead' - which is better for a speaker to reproduce recorded music.

But there's no consensus on this, and there are more threads out there to read. The simplest idea is to get some cheap wood (ply or MDF), cut it carefully (don't breath in any wood dust) and build your first speaker. The trials and tribulatiojns you go through will mostly be with design/crossover/damping/driver parts. If you reasonably happy with the result, you can always build another box and transfer over the parts - that's the easy bit...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.