Stereolith Loudspeakers Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is the most extraordinary speaker system I have heard. It has really impressed me on the quality and specially on the effect it gives you with the music. It seems like if you had a 5 speaker sourround system, but all the sound comes out of one "little" box. Don't even think of the Mhz. It has it all!! You have to experience this. Good luck.:) :)

pelanj said:
Any new experience? DIY clones? Maybe these two links could be worth posting here:

http://www.airsound.net/

http://www.truaudio.com/products/ceiling-ss-stereo.asp

I would still love to have something like the Stereolith or airSOUND stuff to fill my room with a broad stereo...

Hi,

The above two links use entirely different principles,
the latter is barely stereo in any meaningful sense.

The former uses sum and difference principles well
known for a long time and quite simply is not as
good as normal stereo for a normal position.

:)/sreten.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, these are different principles, but all lead to "one box stereo". This is not for serious listening (but the Stereolith claims differently), but for background listening while moving around the room - a standard stereo pair changes the sound too much with position, which is disturbing.

I have a radio, there is a 3 (or 4) inch midbass, most probably with dual voice coil and two 1" tweeters or extended range drivers (not sure about the crossover point). And that satisfies my listening needs for this purpose. I gave this radio as a present, so I was thinking of building something like this. Or just a box with angled fullrangers as it is on the small boomboxes.

Anyhow, I wonder, if any of these approaches could lead to high quality sound. All people I have asked consider Stereolith principle to be higly inferior to a standard stereo pair.

Well, i don't believe in it! Maybe if i can hear it :)

But here is why i don't think this works as they say it does:
The brain "see" the ambiance by calculation difference between two sources, in our case those are 2 speakers.
In stereo mix you can make instrument placement (or stage placement) by panning it left, right, or somewhere between. It is just like in real life :)
So how can you hear that stage placement with just one speaker where high frequencies are firing front and all other on one side?!? Maybe there CAN be some pseudo stereo imaging in big empty room with almost no furniture. You can make that effect with one regular speaker :)
I was making speakers like this one some 10 years ago. I was "surprised" by it's sound.

Oh, and, another of my "inventions" like this one is when i made a box with two car speakers and rewired them out of phase, I got some psychedelic 3d sound :) So, i can start my own production and make money of that? Hm.... :)

Hi!
the Time Domain licensed Maxell MXSP-4000 is based on the same principle as original Stereolith - the drivers for left and right channels are installed on the opposite ends of the enclosure

best,
graaf

Attachments

• 340x.jpg
    340x.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,964
Well, I have heard the Stereolith.

I have high eff. open baffles Ev sp15 Fountek ribbons Altec 515b.

We did a direct comparison.

this is where, when you focus on imaging your 2 systems will vary incredibly so IMO.

They are dynamically impaired
The have just about no resolution
Bad frequency response, see here rolled of on last octave and first 3.

But, man they image like nothing else I have heard; nothing.

Anglo said:
Well, I have heard the Stereolith.

I have high eff. open baffles Ev sp15 Fountek ribbons Altec 515b.

We did a direct comparison.

this is where, when you focus on imaging your 2 systems will vary incredibly so IMO.

They are dynamically impaired
The have just about no resolution
Bad frequency response, see here rolled of on last octave and first 3.

But, man they image like nothing else I have heard; nothing.

here is an enthusiastic review of modified Stereolith + subwoofers combo: http://www.magazine-audio.com/essais-hi-fi/essais-enceintes-hi-fi/22

best!
graaf

pelanj said:
All people I have asked consider Stereolith principle to be higly inferior to a standard stereo pair.

they were obviously ignorant, biased ("I hate what I don't know" approach) or perhaps even both

the only problem with Stereolith is incompatibility with defective pseudo-stereo (rather "dual mono") recordings

for true Blumlein stereo recording that is recording with coincident stereo microphone pair situated at realistic distance from sound source there is no better method of reproduction than Stereolith-principle

Joseph Manger mentioned Stereolith-like method of reproduction in his "Discuss" patent noting the problem of compatibility

recordings "made for" artificial spatiality relying on stereo speakers spread - many, many (perhaps even most?) recordings - are incompatible with Stereolith

it is very very sad because true Blumlein stereo recording + Stereolith principle is real audiophile paradise

narrow minded engineers and their business consortes responsible for this paradise being lost should all go to HELL! :devilr:

best!
graaf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.