Stereolith Loudspeakers Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2003, 09:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Stereolith Loudspeakers Question

I was told about these Stereolith Loudspeakers by a colleague today, and he assures me that for 60Hz and up, these things are magical in terms of imaging and depth.
It seems that the latest model is running stereo lows/mids drivers, and a single mono tweeter arrangement.
Anybody have experience of these ?.

Eric.
Old 25th December 2003, 04:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

this is the most extraordinary speaker system I have heard. It has really impressed me on the quality and specially on the effect it gives you with the music. It seems like if you had a 5 speaker sourround system, but all the sound comes out of one "little" box. Don't even think of the Mhz. It has it all!! You have to experience this. Good luck.
Old 26th December 2003, 09:43 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

they appear to be total pap to me, wouldn't touch them with yours !

sreten.
Old 27th December 2003, 03:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Eric,

No experience with them, but if you wanted the effects of your avatar, you'd have to turn them sideways.

Happy New Year,
Old 27th December 2003, 04:03 PM   #5
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

DIY cloneable?
Old 13th October 2006, 09:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mega up !!!
Old 12th September 2008, 03:46 PM   #7
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Any new experience? DIY clones? Maybe these two links could be worth posting here:

http://www.airsound.net/

http://www.truaudio.com/products/ceiling-ss-stereo.asp

I would still love to have something like the Stereolith or airSOUND stuff to fill my room with a broad stereo...
Old 16th September 2008, 10:53 AM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pelanj
Any new experience? DIY clones? Maybe these two links could be worth posting here:

http://www.airsound.net/

http://www.truaudio.com/products/ceiling-ss-stereo.asp

I would still love to have something like the Stereolith or airSOUND stuff to fill my room with a broad stereo...
Hi,

The above two links use entirely different principles,
the latter is barely stereo in any meaningful sense.

The former uses sum and difference principles well
known for a long time and quite simply is not as
good as normal stereo for a normal position.

/sreten.
Old 16th September 2008, 11:18 AM   #9
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Yes, these are different principles, but all lead to "one box stereo". This is not for serious listening (but the Stereolith claims differently), but for background listening while moving around the room - a standard stereo pair changes the sound too much with position, which is disturbing.

I have a radio, there is a 3 (or 4) inch midbass, most probably with dual voice coil and two 1" tweeters or extended range drivers (not sure about the crossover point). And that satisfies my listening needs for this purpose. I gave this radio as a present, so I was thinking of building something like this. Or just a box with angled fullrangers as it is on the small boomboxes.

Anyhow, I wonder, if any of these approaches could lead to high quality sound. All people I have asked consider Stereolith principle to be higly inferior to a standard stereo pair.
Old 16th September 2008, 05:58 PM   #10
geminni is offline geminni  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Well, i don't believe in it! Maybe if i can hear it

But here is why i don't think this works as they say it does:
The brain "see" the ambiance by calculation difference between two sources, in our case those are 2 speakers.
In stereo mix you can make instrument placement (or stage placement) by panning it left, right, or somewhere between. It is just like in real life
So how can you hear that stage placement with just one speaker where high frequencies are firing front and all other on one side?!? Maybe there CAN be some pseudo stereo imaging in big empty room with almost no furniture. You can make that effect with one regular speaker
I was making speakers like this one some 10 years ago. I was "surprised" by it's sound.

Oh, and, another of my "inventions" like this one is when i made a box with two car speakers and rewired them out of phase, I got some psychedelic 3d sound So, i can start my own production and make money of that? Hm....

Hide this!Advertise here!