Madisound SEAS Thor Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings – I am new to this forum as well as the modern world of DIY. I was active 25 years ago in DIY audio, but career etc., needed to take first priority. At any rate, I am interested in building a pair of SEAS Thor speakers using the Madisound kits. I have seen several post on the general speaker designs, but few on the actual Madisound kit. Any comments or concerns about these speakers? I currently have a pair of Revel F12s that I would be using for comparison. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• thors_fon01.jpg
    thors_fon01.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 627
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Toxdoc said:
the Madisound cabinets may be an issue?

The original Joe d'Appolitto box does not work well (this one is what is at Madisound). It will get you anechoic bass to 100 Hz (as measured in SEAS anechoic chamber)

If you are thinking of upgraded XO parts you might also want to look at the modified XO. A link near the end of the main revisting the Thor thread, I think.

dave

Attached is a picture Planet10 did of the new crossover I designed. All the information is at the following link:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=26754

BTW, I was working on a reduced baffle step version. I could only come up with 1 dB less baffle step. Otherwise, the entire design would have to change and I couldn't verify the results. The simple change is using Madisound 16 AWG sidewinder coils instead of the Erse 14 AWG in series with the woofers. This adds to the DCR, thus provides the identical response, with 1 dB less baffle step. In my room, I prefer the balance with the 16AWG sidewinder coils and would recommend this, and it saves about $50 in crossover parts too! The sensitivity about 85 dB.

Attachments

• seas-mtm-newxo.gif
    seas-mtm-newxo.gif
    19 KB · Views: 618
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.