Help needed building loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I need some help choosing some speakers for the loudspeakers I want to make (tweeter, midrange, woofer and crossover networks) my budget is around $2000 AUD I have no problem putting them together (getter some help from someone) it's just I am not sure what to buy or where to buy it from.

ps if you have any tips that might help feel free to post them

that's a pretty open question

There's so much great information from some very talented speaker builders all over this site. I suggest you spend a day or two reading some threads and come back with some more specific questions.

First choice, I would propose, is to decide on what kind of speaker you want to build, transmission line, reflex, open baffle. Then you can start looking at drivers.

Hi sogens, welcome to the forum. In addition to what Dave has said, there are a number of threads started for us Ozzies. Brisbane meet being one. Other get togethers are being talked about.

You really need to hear some different system types before embarking on a project. We all have our favourites, you need to find yours. 2K is a big budget for a DIY, let alone your first.

Cheers,

Geoff.

You mentioned you wanted a 3way - any particular reason? Was that recommended to you?

Here is a site - never built any of the designs but I've never read a bad comment on them (only good).

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

If you feel a 2 way design might be more your thing try:

http://www.zaphaudio.com

Either way - unless your friend is an experienced speaker designer, don't just buy some drivers and a standard crossover - otherwise rubbish will result. Much like building a car from scratch and just buying an engine, differential, gearbox and chassis and expecting them all to nicely integrate and work well together.

Use a proven design from a proven designer, but first list your design goals and understand why.

Better still - put your design goals here (requirements) and let the experts give you some speaker designs (solutions) to meet them.

Cheers,
David.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.