L18rnx/p or Al170 in 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I want some help to choose mid-woofer. By now I decided to make Zaph's All Metal System. I'm not really sure to use 27tbfc/g, so I searched... and I found.

Visaton Ke25sc

There is one problem - I can't found any project with L18 and ke25..
But tere is a lot with al170, but L18 and ke25 are drivers " in my type":) My conception changed many times, but I hope I'll finish my project soon.

So I ask you about question in topic or/and ewentual l18-ke25 XO.

Thanks forward ... and sorry about my english:)

What don't you like about the 27TBFC/G? I just built this project yesterday, and if anything, the L18 is much harder to work with. The notch filter has to be just right.

I recommend you start by building the project as it is designed, and only change things after a week or two of listening.

Dan

Agreed with owdi.

John (Zaph) Krutke as well as others vouch for the 27TBFC/G performance. These people have many years experience to be able to judge good from bad drivers. I've never seen bad words written about John's L18 / 27TBFC/G design. I also doubt he would publish a design he didn't think offered the price performance he expects.

I have a pair of 27TBFC/G myself and its definitely the woofers in my system that let the tweeters down. For the price, they offer low distortion across the spectrum and can handle a low xo point (ie. 1700Hz with 4th order acoustic slopes - or slightly lower).

If you can't measure your own design or don't have reliable driver measurements from others to model your own design, it will cost you a lot of frustration and money and you may never get the system sounding right.

David.

Thank you man. As you know making decision about audio system is very hard:) Especially when prices in Poland are highier than in the rest of the world.. 27tbfc/g in Zaph's tweeter mishmash costs 30$ in Poland 62$... Average salary is 850$ - there is nothing to say...

It is better to discuss some problems to avoid them in future.
One more question: is there anybody who can compare Zaph's system with al170+ke25sc?? They are both top Visaton drivers - it could be nice to have them at home:)

Who asks won't be lost!

Mor den Siur said:
Especially when prices in Poland are highier than in the rest of the world.. 27tbfc/g in Zaph's tweeter mishmash costs 30$ in Poland 62$...

Whenever I travel there, I am sure not to buy any consumer electronics. They are way more expensive than here.

If you were to buy all the parts for the project over there, including the crossovers, what would it cost you?

Dan

http://www.audiosklep.com.pl/

Here are the cheapest prices I've found. 1PLN=2,7USD
Totally cost of Zaph's system with minimalist XO ( Jantzen parts) is more than 1100PLN=410$ ... at least. Materials not included. Dispath also.

Seas drivers are skandynavian products. Distance to USA is 4-5 bigger than to Poland. Prices in Poland are 2x higher. Where is economy??

I'm still waiting for comparison Seas and Visaton. I will be gratefull:)

Mor den Siur said:
http://www.audiosklep.com.pl/

Here are the cheapest prices I've found. 1PLN=2,7USD
Totally cost of Zaph's system with minimalist XO ( Jantzen parts) is more than 1100PLN=410$ ... at least. Materials not included. Dispath also.

Seas drivers are skandynavian products. Distance to USA is 4-5 bigger than to Poland. Prices in Poland are 2x higher. Where is economy??

I'm still waiting for comparison Seas and Visaton. I will be gratefull:)

The prices for crossover parts are comparable, but prices on Seas drivers are much higher than here. I think a big part of the economics is scale. I'll go out on a limb and say Madisound moves 100 times as much product as AudioSklep, which allows them to have much lower prices.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.