am I crazy? granite for OB baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since I work with granite, I think the fabrication can be done. But what about the stands and back support for it? any ideas?

I'm thinking of the front baffle of .75" granite and maybe 2-3 layers of mdf behind it. Granite is extremely heavy so I'm thinking of a safe way to make it stand without falling on anyone.

max baffle width should be around 24", height is undetermined (have no simulated the drivers with edge yet)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sqlkev said:
Since I work with granite, I think the fabrication can be done. But what about the stands and back support for it? any ideas?

I'm thinking of the front baffle of .75" granite and maybe 2-3 layers of mdf behind it. Granite is extremely heavy so I'm thinking of a safe way to make it stand without falling on anyone.

max baffle width should be around 24", height is undetermined (have no simulated the drivers with edge yet)

excellent idea, even if not new ;)

make frame of steel tubes (1"x1" ),along with "foot" frame ;

I think that mdf layer isn't needed

Nice idea. I have been thinking of making some OBs out of concrete using moulds. This way I can make the base and wings (butrusses) in one piece.

The thought of a 24" wide, 3/4" thick, ???" high granite slab falling over scares me. Sure you could build something that would ensure its stability, but I suspect that any solution would detract from your beautiful granite.

Perhaps you could cut a narrow rectangle and insert a nice piece of hardwood through to act as a rear "leg". The weight of the granite would support the structure (assuming it is going to tilt backwards slightly. Also, the juxtaposition of the wood and granite would work visually. I am not sure how strong the granite would be if used like this, though.

yup, U sure are crazy....

but so are most of us here:)

a couple of caveats though.. and a couple of ideas...

although dense, granite does transmit waves at a very high rate. Because it is very smooth,(I am assuming honed or cut into a smooth slab), it will most likely behave as glass in baffles, so do a search for glass baffled loudspeakers. I think the diffraction may be an issue. Some consider glass to sound "bright" or "brittle"

Because of the nature of OBs, it is not required. Energy storeage is minimized in lightweight materials. Heavier materials have the potential to store and release larger amplitudes of energy in a manner that may not be linear.
And if the drivers are isolated ftom the baffle there will be essentially "zero" energy transmitted to the baffle.

an idea: I think Naim had a boxed loudspeaker where the driver was actually isolated from the enclosure via a stand alone metal mount. So make a stand for the driver without a baffle at the required height. Make a baffle that stands isolated from the driver and driver stand. Make it out of wood :), cause I have never heard a musical instrument before.

Maybe not a technical answer, but more of a "gut reaction". I'm not (nor do I think I will ever ) be convinced that granite is suitable. And regardless of the ability to work with it, It will still caost you something to purchase the material.

you've "never heard a musical instrument before" - I think you mean made from granite?

(IOW, from stone, not "while .....d ", 'cause that's never happened :whazzat: )

FWIW, a few years ago, I heard a pair of gorgeously crafted multiway speakers made from cored basalt, and utilizing all SEAS drivers (Excel series , IIRC)

As stunning as they looked, the sound was quite simply weird - simultaneously dead and harsh, if that makes sense.

sqlkev said:

Granite is extremely heavy so I'm thinking of a safe way to make it stand without falling on anyone.

If you are into minimalism, how about tilting the slab some degrees back and supporting it with two steel rods:

Attachments

• granite.gif
    granite.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 234
thanks for the replies gents!

the reason I chose to have a few layers of mdf behind the main granite baffle is to absorb some of the energy coming from the midrange. I do plan, however, to mount the woofers on the mdf baffles and not mount directly to the granite piece. The transferred energy is probably too great for the granite to not vibrate.

I personally do not feel 2 steel rods with the baffle tilted backwards is not safe enough. A 2'x4' piece of granite is probably well over 125lbs. The mdf layers and drivers will probably add up to 150lbs or more in total weight. Should I fabricate a backbone support system like the Jamo r909? Local welders should be able to help me out with that.

The jamo r909 is around 50". Mine with a proposed dual 15" woofers, 7-8" high efficiency midrange and a 3-5" tweeter/ribbon should be a tad taller. (I still have yet to play with edge simulations yet, will do so tonight).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.