Best Enclosure and Crossover design software? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2008, 02:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

A.Wayne,

More as info for the original poster than you, Leap still stands as probably the best and most expensive loudspeaker design suite.

However, IMO, at $1595 for the full version, for the DIYer, tools such as SoundEasy or LspCad Std have much greater bang for the buck at 1/7th the price.

Not to mention that they include a measurement suite as well as the crossover emulator which allows you to listen to and voice your virtual XOs through a multi channel soundcard and amp. Features which are not part of LEAP.

Kind regards,

Dennis
Old 9th September 2008, 02:24 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

"their old Key system has failed , hence i need to have an update"

They don't support the older software?? You can't get a new key?

I use Clio for measurements LEAP Crossover Shop, and Bass Box Pro. It all works well. I think LEAP does a great job in simulating the crossover. The simulations against the actual measurements of the completed crossovers match up very well.

Rob
Old 9th September 2008, 02:47 PM   #13
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

SoundEasy is still the best bang for the buck.
Old 9th September 2008, 02:51 PM   #14
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djarchow
A.Wayne,

More as info for the original poster than you, Leap still stands as probably the best and most expensive loudspeaker design suite.

However, IMO, at $1595 for the full version, for the DIYer, tools such as SoundEasy or LspCad Std have much greater bang for the buck at 1/7th the price.

Not to mention that they include a measurement suite as well as the crossover emulator which allows you to listen to and voice your virtual XOs through a multi channel soundcard and amp. Features which are not part of LEAP.

Kind regards,

Dennis
I agree on the leap /LMS package as we used this for years in our anechoic chamber when i was involved in the business, The x-over designer kicked **** back then .
As a previous owner Chris will give me the update for 1100.00
i'm inclined to update , but since it has been the better part of 10 yrs
i wanted to see what other options are available ..

Quote:
Originally posted by Robh3606

I use Clio for measurements LEAP Crossover Shop, and Bass Box Pro. It all works well. I think LEAP does a great job in simulating the crossover. The simulations against the actual measurements of the completed crossovers match up very well.

Rob

Yes i was made painfully aware of that , no new Keys and i need to update. agree with the x-over sim in leap , very , very helpful.
Old 9th September 2008, 03:30 PM   #15
gary f is offline gary f  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Calsod

I'm using Calsod 1.40. It's relatively cheap (100$).
It's not user friendly, relatively complex, but it is still better than using nothing. I doesn't do measurements. I use dayton WT3 for impedance measurements, and a spectrum analyzer for SPL measurements.

Even after saying that, I love to use it, in a masochist kind of way. I wouldn't recommend it though...
Old 9th September 2008, 03:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:

In your opinion does it make sense to have the update or should i move on to one of the other software's mentioned in this Thread .
If your need is for a one-off personal system (or a few) I think LEAP may be an overkill especially when there are folks who offer LEAP-based design services for a fee. As Dennis points out, there are other nice features such as crossover emulation that you can play with if you use the others.

The primary reason I chose LEAP for my business (of providing LEAP-based services to those who do not want to buy LEAP :-P) is two-fold:
(i) I found it had a more established history of simulating speaker *boxes* whose final measurements came very close to the simulated results.
(ii) It seemed to be the most established way of getting from small-signal driver models (read T/S) to large-signal driver models (the latter due largely to Chris) that match very well with reality.

-Ram
Old 9th September 2008, 04:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robh3606

Rob
I would be very surprised if any of the tools (SoundEasy, LspCad, SpeakerWorkshop, Leap, Calsod, PCD, etc) that allow the use of measured impedance, phase and spl didn't produce very accurate XO simulations. Assuming I have done my measurements correctly, the rest is fairly simple mathmatics.

Regards,

Dennis
Old 9th September 2008, 04:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc
SoundEasy is still the best bang for the buck.
George,

I would certainly agree with you. The closest competition feature wise is LspCad Pro but that is up around $600 now.

However with programs like SpeakerWorkshop, it is amazing the number of tools out there that are really pretty good and are free.

regards,

Dennis
Old 9th September 2008, 04:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would be very surprised if any of the tools (SoundEasy, LspCad, SpeakerWorkshop, Leap, Calsod, PCD, etc) that allow the use of measured impedance, phase and spl didn't produce very accurate XO simulations. Assuming I have done my measurements correctly, the rest is fairly simple mathmatics.
Thank you Dennis. You can certainly get from the same point A to point B using any of those programs because the math is the same. The only differences are that some programs have features to try to get you to point B automatically, and some programs are just more intuitive to use.

-Paul
Old 9th September 2008, 05:30 PM   #20
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:

George,

I would certainly agree with you. The closest competition feature wise is LspCad Pro but that is up around $600 now.

However with programs like SpeakerWorkshop, it is amazing the number of tools out there that are really pretty good and are free.

regards,

Dennis
I was using SpeakerWorkshop before switching to SoundEasy. Three major things made me switch: 1. I could not get sensible phase data from the XO design. 2. CSD. 3. SW was not being updated any more. I needed something with the features and continued upgrades with new features.

Hide this!Advertise here!