Why speaker become sounding compressed, when played too loud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Why most of speaker become sound compressed or "break" when played too loud? of course other than clipped source problem.

1. Is it because of the material?
2. Generally, which one of the following material allowing us to
drive the speaker (mid woofer) really hard?
- Paper
- Kevlar
- Rigid carbon
- Polypropylene

Thank you.

chops said:
One of the joys of using high efficiency PA drivers for the low end and compression drivers/horns for the top end. For home use, I doubt you would ever get compression from these types of drivers. At least I never have. :cool:
I agree. The OP's issue is likely small, low efficiency 'phile drivers that are being pushed very hard to get any sort of decent SPL.

Brett said:
....... low efficiency 'phile drivers........
The low efficiency is a direct trade-off for wide bandwidth. If you want loud, you use lightweight cones and accept the narrow bandwidth.
If you need wide bandwidth you MUST SACRIFICE something and loss of efficiency is much easier to sell than enormous size and multiple drivers.

AndrewT said:
The low efficiency is a direct trade-off for wide bandwidth. If you want loud, you use lightweight cones and accept the narrow bandwidth.
If you need wide bandwidth you MUST SACRIFICE something and loss of efficiency is much easier to sell than enormous size and multiple drivers.
I'm well aware of this, but I know where I prefer the compromises. If the wide BW is it so you can have a small, inefficient, dynamically constipated two way, then I'd rather use my STAX 'phones.

AndrewT said:
If you want loud, you use lightweight cones and accept the narrow bandwidth.

Well, we'll see just how "narrow" the bandwidth of high efficiency PA loudspeaker drivers really are once I get my Usher D2 clone project underway. If mine measure anywhere near the D2's, I should be getting down into the low 20's, high teens, and pretty much flat up to the xover point of 600-760Hz.

Granted, I'll have FOUR 15" drivers in FOUR 8.3cf ported enclosures tuned to 26Hz to do it, but I'll also have all the dynamics in the world with 98+dB efficiency per channel. :cool:

chops said:

Well, we'll see just how "narrow" the bandwidth of high efficiency PA loudspeaker drivers really are once I get my Usher D2 clone project underway. If mine measure anywhere near the D2's, I should be getting down into the low 20's, high teens, and pretty much flat up to the xover point of 600-760Hz.

Granted, I'll have FOUR 15" drivers in FOUR 8.3cf ported enclosures tuned to 26Hz to do it, but I'll also have all the dynamics in the world with 98+dB efficiency per channel. :cool:

Sounds kinda serious... :D

Is this for your bedroom system?

John L.

AndrewT said:

Like Lowther drivers? DX2 30Hz-20kHz @ 97dB/W/m.

But, you're right about sacrifice, even the cheap ones will set you back $500 each.

chops said:

Looking forward to seeing this unfold.

auplater said:

Sounds kinda serious... :D

Is this for your bedroom system?

John L.

Oh, it's very serious!
A bit extreme for a bedroom system though, don't you think? LOL
It will be going into my theater room "slash" 2-channel system.

Brett said:
Looking forward to seeing this unfold.

Trust me, me too! I've got all the drivers, 4" flared ports, everything, minus the wood and time to build them. :bawling:

HI dar82,

The discussion seems to have gone off-topic, so another answer your question...

Cone excursion increases with an increase in volume. As you increase cone excursion you get to a point of either a) reducing the number of voice coil turns in the magnetic field (hence decreasing motor strength) or b) reaching the limits of the suspension.

In either case, distortion is introduced as the cone is not truly able to be controlled to produce the desired waveform.

A compressed sound is typically one where transients (ie. sudden +10dB peaks in the average listening level) cannot be produced. In a driver's situation (assuming the amplifier is not clipping) - this means the driver motor cannot push the cone out far enough and "snap it back" in a controlled fashion - hence peaks tend to not have the clarity and impact they should have.

David.

chops said:
And sorry for running your thread off topic, which I think was done by me. ;)

mea culpa also.

darw82 said:
Anyway, based on all of yours reply. I decided to go with eminence alpha 6. As this is the best effecient speaker in simulator.

darw82,

It does look like a nice driver (from the specs), but how will you be using it, as it doesn't look like it's going to give you much bass under 80Hz?

What ARE the obvious symptoms of compression??? How do you recognise it sonically? Some sort of missing impact that you get at lower levels but disappear at higher or what??

Of the people who have replied here, how many of you at one point or another have experienced it at home?

Alternatively, if I'm not sure I have heard it on mine (with an 18 inch pro driver) then I suppose the odds are that it doesn't exist?? In other words, is it a case of 'if it is there you will most certainly have heard it'.

Hope the question was clear.

terry j said:
What ARE the obvious symptoms of compression??? How do you recognise it sonically? Some sort of missing impact that you get at lower levels but disappear at higher or what??

I'm not sure that I've heard the sound of compression. But I did have a friend who had a pair of home-made Focal 2-ways. At some point, after an hour or 2 of reasonably loud playing, you would find that the sound level remained the same if you turned the volume control up. This was at about the same time that you started to get some interesting smells coming from the voice coil. But, if you turned it down again and left it for a few minutes it would play louder without turning the volume up to the same level as we were using it at. The results of a big room a big amplifier and some not very efficient drivers. They sounded good, though, even when pressed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.