Raven 2 + Focal 7W4411 2.5 Way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone here built or heard the ORCA/ Zalytron designed Raven 2 + Focal 7W 2.5 (MTM or TMM) or the similar PHL system shown on the Zalytron website? I have a pair of RAven 2's from a previous project (that I feel is only partially successful) and am looking to downsize a bit.

My other question is that I got several files from the ORCA designer, Alan - about whom I have nothing but good things to say. He sent me LSPCAD files for the above system. There are two options - a small, sealed box MTM and a large ported box with a TMM configuration. However, there is only one x-over file offered both configutations. Does any one have a comment about this?

Thanks

Mike

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I know this is a very old thread. Yet, I have built the TMM Orca designed cabinets. They are composed of pair of Focal 7W4411 and Focal TLR Audiom tweeters. I upgraded the coupling caps to Jantzen Superior Z-caps (recommended by a speaker designed in The Netherlands).

My experience is that they have a flat response and exceptionally revealing sound reproduction. When I make slight changes in a component (cartridge, interconnects) or tracking adjustment to my system, it is evidently clear.

For the money, I could not imagine speakers that even come close to these Orca designed speakers.

I purchased the kit from Elliott at Zalytron. It was a pleasure conversing with him and dealing with him.

You can see my gallery for full list of construction photos.

Attachments

• DSCN5887.jpg
    DSCN5887.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN5579.jpg
    DSCN5579.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN5631.jpg
    DSCN5631.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN5635.jpg
    DSCN5635.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 95
My other question is that I got several files from the ORCA designer, Alan - about whom I have nothing but good things to say. He sent me LSPCAD files for the above system. There are two options - a small, sealed box MTM and a large ported box with a TMM configuration. However, there is only one x-over file offered both configutations. Does any one have a comment about this?

Thanks

Mike

Sounds about right. The box and vent affect the bottom part of the woofer's response. The crossover the upper. Nothing wrong with using the same crossover assuming the front baffle is the same size-ish.

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.