Vifa xt25 tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Actually, I have no experience with this tweeter, but it is supposed to get very harsh if not crossed over high enough. It may have a low Fs, but most poeple say that you need >2.4KHz with at least 3rd order on it. Down to 2Khz with 4th order.

I would guess that this is due to the smaller radiating area of the dome compared to smaller tweeters.

-Paul

First of all im surpriced that the crossover should be that low, the shop I got it from, told me that the xover should be around 2700hz
Is there any body who has some practical experinces with this tweeter, because I have been told that it should be one of the best tweeters on the market, but im not getting any good results.
I have heard this tweeter in a Audio physics speaker and it sounded a lot better than mine and it is the same tweeter!!

Looking at distortion measurements that were in one of the recent issues of Klang & Ton, second harmonic goes up considerably below 3 kHz while third stays low.

Second is not as nasty as third, but if you listen at high levels, first order even around 3 kHz may be inadequate. On the other hand, if you use a steep active XO, crossing over at or below 2 kHz should be fine.

Looking at the plots, step response and waterfall look very good. Third order disto is good, second is pretty mediocre. Some convential dome tweeters, e.g. Audax & Peerless, have much better performance.

I know disto plots are not everything, but just going by the measurements, I wonder why this tweeter is so highly regarded.

I have listenend to them in both the Sonus Faber Cremona and the new T+A TCI 3, and I must say I liked both of them very much.

Regards,

Eric

I love the sound of this Tweeter with a high order Active, with a high order it doesn't seem to care to much about crossover points, mine sounded good anywhere between 1.9K and 3.2K although the Revelator mid sounds so good and detailed in the vocal region that I settled for 2.4K. I tried some series passives and did not like them at all, however after you try a good active network everything else just sounds constrained and muffled, not nearly as live and dynamic as the active IMO.

Anybody who thinks active networks only benefit the lower frequencies should try this tweeter with active, as the high frequencies can benefit greatly from the increase in dampening.

Attachments

• vifa xt25 vc.jpg
    vifa xt25 vc.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,564
Did you slaughter this one or did you manage to put it back together? :)

I guess the star structure holds up the phase plug. What is it attached to? Obviously not the VC carrier, even if it looks that way on the pic. Does it ride on top of the pole piece? I thought the pole piece was vented to the rear chamber, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.