Vintage Sonics Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm winding the clock back! IIRC Encel was the distibutor or at least a retailer mid 70s. Probably Coral OEM drivers.

We didn't realise the potential of many Japanese speakers in those days as they were coupled to budget amps, as they didn't need a lot of power. They were better on 10 y/o tube amps, or wait till about 1980 when they improved TID.

Can you post pictures of the drivers?

Geoff.

Pezza89, if you are referring to the Sonics which have four speakers per box, arranged in a square pattern, box size about 16" X 20 inches, speakers size about 6.5 inches, I too have a set which I picked up from a hard rubbish collection. The boxes are about 3 - 4 inches deep and the back has a cuircular cutout about 4 - 5 inches in dia, behind each driver. Some time ago on the vintage speakers thread Planet 10 said that he had some National 6 drivers which he had pit in a box and sold to somebody who was very happy with them. The speakers he showed in the trhead are very similar to what I have in the Sonics box. I will be trying them as open baffles soon.
jamikl

VINTAGE SONICS SPEAKERS

Hi All

Interesting that you mentioned that these speakers could have been coral drivers - they boxes and drivers look identical to a coral pair of speakers i had last year. Also, i bought these speakers from the original owner, whom also had a vintage pioneer SA-500 amp, which i also bought from him. This amp is very sweet and detailed, but low powered, approx 10 watts a channel....and it sounds great! the Pioneer SA-500 is a true David and Goliath story, proves that you do not need a lot of RMS power to achieve a sweet detailed sound. I'll take a photo of the speakers and post them tomorrow!

Hi Geoff H, the drivers on your baffle are different. Mine have pressed steel frames but the arms are arranged like steep Vs. This gives two marrow gaps and two wide gaps through to the rear of the cone. The cones appear to be lightly ribbed all the way from the surround to the centre. They are only rated 1.5 watts! They carry the number P651G. The magnet is a small slug and the rear pole piece is a U shaped piece of bent iron. They sound quite good. I have some old 12 inch speakers of chinese manufacture, not any class at all, and I will try these in a baffle with two of the above mentioned speakers and a cone tweeter. I might even try the speakers above in an arrangment of four, close together as possible in a diamond shape but will have to find a tweeter that comes much lower down if I do this.
jamikl

sonics speakers pic

Hey all, here is a pic of the sonics speakers i was referring to....interesting to see if anyone has seen them before? Cheers, Andy

Attachments

• p9220313.jpg
    p9220313.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,016
sonics speakers

Heya Jamikl, too bad we dont have the same speakers! i think the original owner i purchased them off said he bought them from encel's new! they are in near mint order, drivers like new. The sound is well balanced - not as nice as my JAMO's which i use for my main vintage hi fi setup...currently i have a pioneer sx-850 connected to the sonics and run mp3s from the pc through it! Cheers, Andy

Andy, they are what I was thinking off. The model no AS104 comes to mind. What I can say is that Alex Encel only carried good quality gear. My fathers first decent system came from the shop in Richmond. Brands like Pioneer, Wharfedale, Lux, Labcraft, AR, Quad, Revox were stocked. When my friend bought Soundair Hi Fi in 76, I used to spy on Encel for him. That was his competition. And I got to do a lot of test listening.

Jamikl, don't discount those widerangers. That 1.5 watts may be a RMS rating. They are most likely ideal for OB with a bass helper. The frame you describe sounds familar. Have you looked through the: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1014062#post1014062

If you can post Pics, Tom or Dave will probably identify them.

Geoff.

hey all! i'll take a pic of the rear for you later tonite and post it! Thanks everyone for the pics - geoff are identical to mine - the excpetion being that mine still have a cover over one of the drivers! the bottom end in these speakers is strong and has plenty of detail! im using these speakers through a pioneer sx-850 receiver - sounds very sweet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.