Speaker midwoofer scratching! please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have a pair of American Acoustic Development (A.A.D) speakers that I have had now for 13 months and until recently they have been wonderful. The model they are are C-800i, they have 4 x 6.5" woofers and a 1" dome tweeter, 3 of the woofers are bass drivers and the remaining woofer is a mid range

I have noticed that certain frequencies make the left top 6.5" woofer scratch but 90% of the time you cant hear it, but on some quiet low bass movie and music moments it is very irritable, to test what was wrong I push the woofer and it sounds as though the voice coil windings are rubbing/scratching against the basket or another part of the woofer, so I guess some how the woofer has become unaligned because when I push th bottom of the woofer it does not scratch and does a clear inward motion,

Also I have not attempted to undo any screws or look inside the box of fear of voiding warranty but If this problem were an easy fix, Id definitely open it and fix it

If you could Help me that would be great!, because the AAD staff wont reply to my email

I also fear my model is discontinued

If any info or pics are needed just ask

Thanks Cya

There is the possibility is that the voice-coil is "slightly fried" (don't know how to express this well in English). I.e the slightly melted voice-coil insulation is scratching. In this case it would be best to exchange the driver.

And there is indeed the possibility that something shifts with age. If this happened to your quite new speaker then it should go under warranty IMO.
When it happens with old speakers you can sometimes unscrew a driver and turn it by 180 degrees.

Regards

Charles

I dont think its possible to exchange the driver with one that will fit or one from AAD cause they wont reply and if I do put a replacment in it, that isnt a AAD driver, It will look weird

maybe I should try the rotate 90 - 180 degrees thing, gee I hate random problems like this, the speakers are in perfect nick still and no scratches and it be such a wast of a full speaker just cause AAD wont reply :(

I bought these of ebay new, warranty included, but my account was suspended ages ago so I cant find the seller, the speakers have serial numbers on them

Is it possible If I got hold of AAD staff that they would send a replacement driver if I payed for postage?

I want these fixed bad, and I f I cant, what a WASTE, it pisses me off, cause then I cant even sell them properly!

thanks cya

hello

people I made the mistake of still using the speaker after I heard this scratching cause I didn't think it would get worse but now Im using this old sharp speaker as a replacement on top of it until I can find a solution , so now I think it is a fried coil because no matter where I press it now it is bad :(

Thanks Cya

Hi Toast-master.

A quick test - instead of unscrewing the driver and rotating it - flip the whole speaker box upside down, on its side etc... to see if a particular "side" of the coil is scratching on the pole piece / magnet.

Another possibility and this might be easier to fix, is if the voice coil is open (like Seas speakers). If so - it may be because some debris has become stuck / trapped in between the VC and magnet. It might be possible to remove it... other might have an idea.

If you can take the driver out and take some photos under the basket - ie. so we can see the top of the spider / underside of the cone) - that might reveal something.

Cheers,
David.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.