I dream to DIY "Wharfedale Airedale Heritage", please help me - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2007, 07:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I dream to DIY "Wharfedale Airedale Heritage", please help me

So, It (Airedale Heritage) is my DIY loudspeaker project in dream but I don't know any schema and speaker components (driver, crosscover...) for DIY it
Who can help me now, please.
Thank you so much
Nguyen Anh
mail: bui.nguyen.anh@gmail.com
YM: bui_nguyen_anh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preview_1.jpg (11.3 KB, 768 views)
Old 21st September 2007, 08:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, there's enough info in the product brochure here to design a clone from:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/r...2b6692d6a39ad4

But I think it would be expensive (especially if you want to use Alnico drivers), and huge, ~ 180 litres.....and as a 5 way difficult to implement

I think you could get as good a result with modern drivers in smaller cabinets, (but it wouldn't look as impressive...:-)

I guess the starting point is to decide what drivers that can give a similar response will suit your budget.
a 15", 8", 3" mid dome, 2x 1" tweeters & a super tweeter per side...
Old 21st September 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you so much but I think I try to DIY the same type of Airedale speakers
How much is it, driver Alnico?
You know where can I buy it?
Old 21st September 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Alnico is the type of magnet used on the speaker, not a brand name, very hard to find nowadays.
If you want to make an exact copy, Wharfedale make their own drivers, if you bought drivers from them (assuming they were available) I'd imagine they wouldn't cost much less than buying the Airedale.

So, if you're rich, buy the Airdales, if not (like most of us) decide your budget and build a clone. This means finding speakers within your budget that will give the same performance as the originals. I'd suggest looking at SEAS and Peerless drivers as a good place to start.
Old 22nd September 2007, 07:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am thank very much for yours suggestions
what is exactly do I want?

I want to DIY the speaker with 3 ways (or 2 ways):
big bass/midde driver (25-30cm) is the same type of Airedale
I think what the Airedale's sound is quite natural, nearly show 100% signal source (we ignore amp and cdp, an suppose).
Yes, the sound natural, is the quality sound what I dream, like to Wharfedale Airedale
I am not rich, sure, but I want DIY the speaker like that, the same as you say: "This means finding speakers within your budget that will give the same performance as the originals"
I am newbie, so can you help me to choice one or two speaker's design (diagram, driver, crossover, cabinet...etc) in forum what audiophiles did DIY and it is very natural sound (comments writted)
Again, I am thank you so much
Langtuhanoi

Alnico is the type of magnet used on the speaker, not a brand name, very hard to find nowadays.
If you want to make an exact copy, Wharfedale make their own drivers, if you bought drivers from them (assuming they were available) I'd imagine they wouldn't cost much less than buying the Airedale.

So, if you're rich, buy the Airdales, if not (like most of us) decide your budget and build a clone. This means finding speakers within your budget that will give the same performance as the originals. I'd suggest looking at SEAS and Peerless drivers as a good place to start.
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

2 or 3 way is much easier;

I don't know much about 15" drivers so someone else may provide a suggestion (Maybe P-Audio HP15W?)
with SEAS 8" or 6.5" mid, & SEAS tweeter.

Look at the 2 way projects on this site:
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm
and think about adding the 15" as a sub
(you can always make the cabinet LOOK like an Airedale)

Pete McK
Old 22nd September 2007, 11:49 PM   #7
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

Nguyen Anh,
Lan dau tien thay co nguoi viet nam trong forum nay, welcome!

As PeteMcK already mentioned, obtaining the drivers would probably expensive since they look like proprietary drivers. (to me)
The brochure, however reveal quite a bit of the design philosophy and specs. I'd suggest that if you're sought after the natural, big sound like such speakers, but do not have measurement capabilities to make your own. Go ahead and build a set designed by one of our experienced hobbyists.

True to the signal/natural, imo = low in distortion drivers + flat response .

Take a look at some of these designers:

zaphaudio.com
humblehomemadehifi.com
troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

they have well documented projects and they do discuss their design philosophies well enough for average Joes like me to understand.

BTW, how do you intend to source drivers? I'd imagine it would be quite expensive to ship there.
Old 23rd September 2007, 03:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteMcK
I don't know much about 15" drivers so someone else may provide a suggestion (Maybe P-Audio HP15W?)
The Challenger series would likely be a better bet if you had to use a PAudio. A JBL 2226 would be even better.
Old 23rd September 2007, 09:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hihi,
Chao bac sqlkev
Co nhieu nguoi Vietnam vao day phet bac a, co the la chua viet bai hoac lay nick tieng anh thoi, chuc bac va ca nha vui ve
I think ProAc 2.5 design what many audiophile has choice
Is it good? but Who can help me to search the best design for ProAc 2.5 (100% or better than original...)
Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally posted by
Nguyen Anh,
Lan dau tien thay co nguoi viet nam trong forum nay, welcome!

As PeteMcK already mentioned, obtaining the drivers would probably expensive since they look like proprietary drivers. (to me)
The brochure, however reveal quite a bit of the design philosophy and specs. I'd suggest that if you're sought after the natural, big sound like such speakers, but do not have measurement capabilities to make your own. Go ahead and build a set designed by one of our experienced hobbyists.

True to the signal/natural, imo = low in distortion drivers + flat response .

Take a look at some of these designers:

zaphaudio.com
humblehomemadehifi.com
troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

they have well documented projects and they do discuss their design philosophies well enough for average Joes like me to understand.

BTW, how do you intend to source drivers? I'd imagine it would be quite expensive to ship there.
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:25 AM   #10
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you really like dome midranges, here is an alnico:
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HM600.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!