I dream to DIY "Wharfedale Airedale Heritage", please help me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The big Atlas would have come closer to the Airedale, but the kit is no longer available.

Attachments

• atldsmmkiii.jpg
    atldsmmkiii.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 301
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
langtuhanoi said:
Thank so much to PeteMcK
someone have diagram AIREDALE speaker???... it is too expensive and nobody open one new speakers

You must realize that what you ask here has no point. You ask to copy it. The speaker you like has custom drivers in custom frames, and a non published (naturally) crossover. It takes a skilled DIYer to make something like it, following its principles closely, if he was to make a 'clone' for him or for a paying customer of his. But NOT the same. Your best bet is to settle for a big coaxial driver in a hexagonal cabinet in order to justify your appetite for a big sound and an imposing vintage like cabinet.

P.S. Are you working in some mass production cabinet factory?

So,
I not work for any cabinet or speaker factory, I am engineer IT...:)
This my DIY project created after my visit to one audiophile who DIY ProAc 2.5 clone, it is very impressive for me, 2.5 do have a beautiful soundstage, very natural and depth of bass excellent. After that, I ask myself: Why I DIY one of most famous Wharfedale - Airedale speakers, I know forum and I find here many informations shared about DIY world with many audiophile
At home, I use Wharfedale Evo-30 (modern type) of Wharfedale, it is not very good in bass, too small in my room. I think that I want to DIY (or buy) CD transport > DAC (I love Tube-lover's DAC) > pre tube > amp class D DCD-400 (400W/channel)
it is my big audio project
The DIY speaker is the first period of this project
I thank to Salas and PeteMcK,
PeteMcK@: "what speaker drivers are available to me?", one right question for me, so I will choice one speaker design with big cabinet (It is compatible to my room), the driver woofer with depth bass (<20Hz), mid and treble are very natural. Fin. It is thing what I want exactly.
Thank to notice for me this design...
Langtuhanoi

salas said:

You must realize that what you ask here has no point. You ask to copy it. The speaker you like has custom drivers in custom frames, and a non published (naturally) crossover. It takes a skilled DIYer to make something like it, following its principles closely, if he was to make a 'clone' for him or for a paying customer of his. But NOT the same. Your best bet is to settle for a big coaxial driver in a hexagonal cabinet in order to justify your appetite for a big sound and an imposing vintage like cabinet.

P.S. Are you working in some mass production cabinet factory?

PeteMcK said:
Here's a link to the Atlas so you can get an idea of the complexity:

http://www.visaton.com/en/bauvorschlaege/archiv/550/construction.html

Salas is correct, sadly there's a point where reality must take over from the dream.
The first question you must answer is 'what speaker drivers are available to me'...

sorry for bringing up an old topic....

and i know you were inquiring about the "airedale heritage" speakers that are available from Wharfedale...

I do own a pair of original Wharfedale Airedales from the late 60's that I would be willing to document for you, if you could find it helpful...

good luck!

Airdale news

Hello louped garou,
It is great news from your reply, your document about Wharfedale Airedale is very helpful for me and I can build one for my hi-fi system
Thank you so much
langtuhanoi

louped garou said:
sorry for bringing up an old topic....

and i know you were inquiring about the "airedale heritage" speakers that are available from Wharfedale...

I do own a pair of original Wharfedale Airedales from the late 60's that I would be willing to document for you, if you could find it helpful...

good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.