Studio 200 tweeter replacement - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2007, 04:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Studio 200 tweeter replacement

Hi All,

I've been using ProAc Studio 200 for 12 years, and the tweeter seems to be going bad now. I hear some high-frequency distortion sound occasionally, and it sounds like the tweeter in bad shape. I unscrewed the driver to find out the model number and it is read:

25 TFFC-C
H563 - 6ohm

I know this driver is a Seas one, but their website or Madisound.com doesn't show this one. I guess I'll have to find the closest one among available Seas tweeters, and I need to find the one that will fit into this driver's place on this speaker. Could somebody help me to find a good substitute? Thank you.
Old 20th September 2007, 04:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Contact Proac?
Old 20th September 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

does it seem to be similar to 25TFFC http://seas.no/seas_line/tweeters/H519.PDF ?

/sreten.
Old 20th September 2007, 05:34 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Make sure it isn't a failing capacitor in the cross-over before yee spend thee money.. (Swap tweeters from one box to the other.)
Old 20th September 2007, 05:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I contacted ProAc dealer in the US before, but they didn't provide information, and only tried to sell their overpriced 'custom' replacement drivers. That's why I am looking for 'generic' Seas replacement. To be accurate, I didn't contact ProAc headquarter in England.

Thanks for 25TFFC PDF URL. As I don't see the model name on Seas product table or Madisound catalog, I guess I will have to find out the mechanically compatible ones myself using the information. Am I right?

Regarding the advice of falling capacitors, both speakers are going bad, so I can't do that test. Is there other way to examine the crossover easily without oscilloscope?
Old 20th September 2007, 06:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Old post?
Old 29th October 2007, 02:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Old Post?

Greetz,

Thank you for your suggestion. How can I test whether it is due to the post or not?
Old 29th October 2007, 08:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I thought I've seen this post before, but it was about the ProAc 200 with the scan speak tweeter:

"
Several year ago my friend speaker is broken at left tweeter,the standard tweeter use scanspeak 9500,he order from scanspeak and get new one,but after we replace the driver,very different sound with the original pro ac scanspeak driver...than we order from pro ac with give our serial number.pro ac send the scanspeak 9500, same model with standard scanspeak...but the sound is very different,better than standard,sound stage back to focus,high is same in both speaker...that why you must replacement the driver if want 100 % original sound.
"

But to confirm the tweeter issue; I've got the 25TF and it is looks a lot like the 25T-family, and you could try the seas for the price. The T/S are allmost identical, so no problems expected there...
Old 29th October 2007, 03:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply. I misunderstood your 'post' as the 'binding post' and thought you suggested to check the binding post. I will try to find a replacement for 25TFFC which seems discontinued. I found the replacement voice coil for 25TFFC at Madisound. I asked how I can replace only the part of the driver.
Old 29th October 2007, 04:08 PM   #10
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

The US ProAc Rep is at ModAudio@aol.com. His name is Richard. He is VERY helpful and knowledgeable!

Just in case ProAc has them modified for their specs! Repairing with a kit might not sound the same!

I found when I needed Mid/woofers for my ProAc Studio I MKIIs they weren't much more that Scan-Speaks from Madisound, like $20 more for both shipped!

Good Luck!

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!