Navin, where are you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Navin's speakers

front

Attachments

• front-of-speaker.jpg
    front-of-speaker.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 517
thanks for missing me guys. odd i never thought i would be.

i got crazy busy and still am (see time of this post).

1. my son (all of 10 months now) keeps me busy
2. we are moving so i can be inbetween my 2 jobs instead of negotiating 120 mins of harrowing traffic every other day
3. got involved in a tech startup (http://novitaz.com) and was working from pm till 4am last few weeks on this.
4. still have my day job (http://www.emagindia.com) from 9am to 6pm.
5. my mom has had knee trouble (meniscus, oesteo arthrithis, etc... which complicaes her back (oestoporosis) recovery.
6. helping a few friends out (one with a messy divorce, one with getting married - equally messy as the parents object to the union, and the other...ohh forget this) what are friends for.
7. was on the road in NYC for the month of JAN (bloody freezing for a Bombay boy).

to add to this i lost a week and my hard disk due to my laptop's modem. (this is along story but anyone who can help me with a sony laptop modem raise your hand).

my speaker project is stuck. I got the baffle done got the inside lined with resin bonded fiberglass . I got the bass amp done. i got the inductors and caps for the passive XO. gotta find time to finish it. the XO as you know will be on top. the top will be smoked black glass that can be removed using suction cups so i tinker. the paint finish will be glossy black. however we are working on renovating new apt. so we can move. my wife is very particular about the exact paint colours, upholstery, etc. and this takes time to find and put across to the workers.

got baffle for center speaker (MMTTMM) done. the center will have 2 tweeters in vertical array. one tweeter will operate from 2-20k while the second will operate from 2-8k. this is done to increase power handling of tweeters to same level as 4 Mids. Mids are 4.5" Vifa TC and tweeters are 3/4" Vifa TC.

rear speakers will be either JBL Pro III, Boston Acoustics A60s, or 6" 2 way Vifa TC. depending on time available.

thanks guys for missing me you got me all teary. :-(

will post as soon

Love
Navin

Oh you Guys!

I'm waiting for my friends digital camera, and I'll be able to post a pic of how far my cabs got before the damage took place..

Basically, in one cab 3 of the individual layers have split the whole circumference of the cab rendering one useless..

I'm working on a more conventional looking cab/s now as I don't want to spend out on 3-4 more sheets of the 38mm mdf.

I've also changed the mid drivers to scanspeak revelator mids, and am changing the x-over points to 3000(12Db/octave) and about 150Hz (24Db/octave)LR. I've just received my ESP Linkwitz transform boards, to eq my bass units a bit lower.

At the moment I'm about to measure up the baffle slope of the mid/tweet for time delay, then build the top cabs. After I'll do the main bass cabs.

Will try to get a mock up of this soon, and give more details tonight, after work..

Cheers

Rob

Rob there is always the method i used.
if you do some smart maths you will realise that the reason i used a 16" depth (actually after beding the wood the depth is about 15") is that 16 x 3 = 48. no wasteage.

the cabinet height was 48" to prevent wastage.

so i took 1 sheet of 4mm ply and 1 sheet of 3mm MDF per side. total side thickness was 4 x 3 + 3 x 3 = 21mm but in reality i got closer to 20mm.

4 sheets of thin stuff and i had 2 sides. similarly i used 1 sheet of 35mm to make the baffles, rear, and bracing. i got some ideas for the cutouts of the braces and drivers but when they are operational I will post that too.

the black paint i intend to use is leftover paints from my apt. refurbishing (deep blue + burnt red + lime green + ivory + aqua).

my wife calls me the ultimate scavenger.

C'mon Navin, don't be so modest about your contributions. You were helpful to me when I was wavering on whether to go the DIY route and what design to choose. In the end I chickened out (partially) and bought a G-R Research A/V-3 kit so I wouldn't have to deal with finding the perfect crossover components. Nevertheless, I'd still like to build some cabinets like yours.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.