Help on driver choice for small sealed speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2007, 04:02 PM   #1
speaker is offline speaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help on driver choice for small sealed speaker

It has been awhile since I've run the catalogues looking for drivers so I am not even sure of the players anymore. I am looking to build a small sealed box 2-way speaker set for my daughter's room that will fit into a wall recess above her desk.

If anyone can point me to some existing small speaker designs that would be great but raw driver suggestions for the woofer are what I am looking for. Something in the 4.5-5.25" range, mid 80's efficiency, & nominal 4-ohms Z is where I would like to start. I estimate the internal volume to be less than/equal to 7L/.25cF.

I am trying to build something that will have decent subjective nearfield bass response when she is close and won't misbehave if turned up if she is across the room. THey will be used alone and without a subwoofer. (An appropriate tweeter match recommendation would be appreciated too.)

Any suggestions or favorites for a woofer like this?
Old 15th September 2007, 04:40 PM   #2
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Not sealed, but i've heard these small boxes, and the first thing i did, was to look for the sub under the table, but there was none
Simply amazing sound, they were driven by a homedone JLH amp, used as a computer sound system.
Max's mini TLS
Sorry, the text is in Danish, but the drawings should speak for them self.

Best regards
Ebbe
Old 15th September 2007, 04:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Best if you could provide a budget, but anyway there are several great compact designs at www.zaphaudio.com
Old 15th September 2007, 07:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I appreciate the leads, thank you!

Any others?
Old 15th September 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Look at the projects and kits on Parts Express. Look at Humble Homemade Hi Fi and Troels Gravesen's sites. Look at RJB audio - there's a ton of stuff out there.
Old 16th September 2007, 12:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

There seems to be more choices for vented rather than sealed. I had really wanted to stay with a sealed design. I am sort of trying to knock off an ADS L200 or L300. I can spend $80-100 on the woofers & tweeters. I'll take any other suggestions.
Old 16th September 2007, 03:12 PM   #7
mace is offline mace  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Speaker,

Lately i've found myself interested in sealed designs also.
Here is a design that meets your requirements. I don't have any first hand experience with them yet, but should have mine finished here in the next week or so.
Hope this helps
Old 16th September 2007, 04:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mace
Hello Speaker,

Lately i've found myself interested in sealed designs also.
Here is a design that meets your requirements. I don't have any first hand experience with them yet, but should have mine finished here in the next week or so.
Hope this helps
Although the woofer is bigger than what I was planning to use, my reason for a 4.5-5.25" was that I thought I might have trouble fitting a large woofer in .25cF. I do have the acreage to use a large one however. His design does look like it might indeed work. I also appreciate that he noted how they would be used, on top of a TV. The baffle plane of the TV screen simulates roughly how they would be placed in my own application. Thanks for the link!

Thanks to everyone for all the replies too.

Old 16th September 2007, 04:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

This one uses the smaller Dayton woofer - build it sealed and you can use smaller box volume:

http://www.rjbaudio.com/Microbe/microbe.html
Old 16th September 2007, 06:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Help on driver choice for small sealed speaker

Quote:
Originally posted by speaker
If anyone can point me to some existing small speaker designs that would be great but raw driver suggestions for the woofer are what I am looking for. Something in the 4.5-5.25" range, mid 80's efficiency, & nominal 4-ohms Z is where I would like to start. I estimate the internal volume to be less than/equal to 7L/.25cF.Any suggestions or favorites for a woofer like this?

Creative Sound WR125S, or FR125S work well in a sealed cabinet. Either of these designs could be built sealed:

http://www.vikash.info/audio/FR125S/index.asp

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/WR12...25F1Design.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!