Introducing: "Sauron"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My latest little project.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Build is of 3cm thick real timber !! (except the bottom because I ran out of timber and funds, its 25mm mdf)

The curved section at the top will eventually house the tweeter in a pod.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Drivers will be Vifa M18WO (vented) I got given those, (thanks Rick C. from Sydney)
Peerless 830853 (4"HDS) running open back and
Audax TM020J7 in the pod (been in the cupboard for ages awaiting a project).

I'm not sure at this stage if I'll make them a stand-mount or just put short feet on them as a bookshelf style.

At first, I thought they were big floorstanders, until I read the description more closely.

4" driver on an open baffle -- I thought the benefits of open baffle were mainly achieved by larger drivers at lower frequencies. How low does the 4" driver go? Do you believe it sounds better than an enclosed 4" driver would? How far from the wall do you plan to position them? You mentioned "bookshelf style" but you won't place these on a bookshelf will you?

Anyway it is a good looking design!

Javachip said:
At first, I thought they were big floorstanders, until I read the description more closely.

4" driver on an open baffle -- I thought the benefits of open baffle were mainly achieved by larger drivers at lower frequencies. How low does the 4" driver go? Do you believe it sounds better than an enclosed 4" driver would? How far from the wall do you plan to position them? You mentioned "bookshelf style" but you won't place these on a bookshelf will you?

Anyway it is a good looking design!

Interesting questions. I'll try to answer, opinions only.

1. As far as my ears are concerned, I KNOW that OB mids are WAY better sounding than enclosed mids. My last 3 (now 4) speakers have all used OB mids, and I really think they do sound better than enclosed mids.
What I have found that is required, is a 2" thick layer of poly wadding behind the mid drivers. This seems to ease the back wave to just about the right level.

2. I think these could actually sound rather good on a bookshelf, with the wadding in place. I will let you know later, but I run "Blackwood" with the front only 2ft from the rear wall and they are very, very nice to listen too. It would require a fairly deep bookcase to place them on though, and I think it would be best if they were on top, rather than between shelves, (I think between shelves would confuse the OB sound).
I don't think I have a bookshelf or bench wide enough, but will certainly be grabbing some boxes or something and putting them as close to the wall as I can (they are rear vented) just to see what happens !!

Hopefully the wadding will be enough to suppress cavity resonances.

Is the tweeter pod face to be flush to the 'holder'? if not, that pod design will have some pretty severe diffraction effects from the equidistance to a hard edge- basically the worst shape in terms of diffraction. You may wish to consider another, top-mounted piece to act as a supra-baffle (like in the Frugel-Horns).

But! they look like they're coming along nicely, and should sound good.

badman said:
Hopefully the wadding will be enough to suppress cavity resonances.

Is the tweeter pod face to be flush to the 'holder'? if not, that pod design will have some pretty severe diffraction effects from the equidistance to a hard edge- basically the worst shape in terms of diffraction. You may wish to consider another, top-mounted piece to act as a supra-baffle (like in the Frugel-Horns).

But! they look like they're coming along nicely, and should sound good.

The wadding has worked well in other U-frames I have made.

I am aware of the issues with the diffraction of the pods, but they look so darn cool !! :cool:

Thinking I may use a layer of say 8mm thick closed cell foam between them and the curve. we will see what happens and how much the audible sound is effected. ! :xfingers:

pdan said:
Andy,

What strange little things, they have a great deal of charm. I really like them !

You are very skillful ...... how long did they take to make ?

Please excuse my ignorance, but who or what is "Sauron" ?

Yep, a bit different. But that's what I try to do. :cool:

Quite a while.. mainly waiting for glue to dry before proceeding to next step.

Sauron, as stated is the VERY BAD GUY from LOTR.
His symbol? is the flaming eye held aloft between two spires.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I applaud your creativity Andy. Looks appropriately menacing.

Attachments

• sauron.jpg
    sauron.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 566
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Andy Graddon said:

I bought a wood lathe recently, but haven't got around to doin' some learnin' .. some time soon I hope

It's addictive Andy, like popping the blisters in bubble wrap; lose yourself for hours in it.
At a arts and craft show a while ago, I spent some time talking to a gentleman who makes cowboy hats on the lathe from wood. Yes, a wooden Stetson that you can actually wear.
Unbelievable.

Attachments

• danish_ash_range_rider.jpg
    danish_ash_range_rider.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 383
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.