3 Way Loudspeaker Opinions Please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2007, 05:12 AM   #1
bssk is offline bssk  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb 3 Way Loudspeaker Opinions Please

I have an Accuton C292-6 7 inch Mid/Bass and Accuton C223-6 1.2 inch Tweeter. I had built a 2 way sealed box monitor (crossover at 2kHz), but the high frequencies were rolling off at around 9kHz. I found in Zaph Audio and other forums that this is the way the tweeter behaves and this can be corrected by a complex crossover.

So now I am planning to add a Ribbon Tweeter (Fountek or BG) to work as a Super Tweeter to work from about 7kHz and above.

Accuton Midbass till around 2kHz
Accuton Tweeter from 2kHz to 7kHz
Ribbon Tweeter 7kHz +

What do you think about this configuration? Will this solve my problem? Kindly give your suggestions and opinions.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A 3-way is always a complex xover.
Sure, you must have plenty of money to put US$300+ on 2 tweeters in (one) a speaker...
And do not forget the problems you are running into.

Stuck in a dip
Stuck in a dip
Old 13th September 2007, 04:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think you'd be best off by simply replacing the Accuton tweeter with one that can handle a 2K XO and go all the way to the top octaves by itself - perhaps the SEAS 27TBFC/G would be a good candidate - one of the best tweeters at any price.
Old 13th September 2007, 08:46 PM   #4
bssk is offline bssk  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Inductor,

Thank you for pointing me to the post where ttruman is facing a similar issue with the same driver. I am really not sure, on how to go about solving this rolloff problem with the tweeter. I invested on Accutons thinking that I should have no issues, and I prefer not to invest any more money. It was just an idea to add a Ribbon Tweeter to resolve the problem. Kindly give me suggestions.

Thanks,
BSSK
Old 13th September 2007, 10:37 PM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I dont think there is an issue at all ... I have built with the former C22 and it sounded quite good ... have you at least listened to it ?
Old 13th September 2007, 10:37 PM   #6
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe you could try to exchange your C²23-6 with a C²12-6 ? The C²12-6 have better top range because it's smaller.

I don't like your idea of using two tweeters. If you can't exchange the tweeter for something else, sell it, keep the crossover at 2 kHz and use something else, like Seas 27TDFC, 27TBFC/G, Scanspeak 6600 or a ribbon tweeter if you want to.

Good luck !
Old 14th September 2007, 12:18 PM   #7
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hmmm.........

A supertweeter never did the legendary Spendor BC1 any harm.
Which is strictly speaking a 2-way + supertweeter, not a 3-way.

A far more mundane driver than a ribbon will do the job extremely well
and have far better vertical dispersion than a ribbon in the top octave.

However what is the problem addressing the issue in the crossover ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Looks straight forward to correct in a crossover, it is not complex.

/sreten.
Old 14th September 2007, 12:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default 2 and something way, not three way

I guess you do have a resistor et the beginning of your high pass, if yes, bypass it with a HQ cap with 0.82 - 1.5µF, this will increase high frequencies, and well - listen.

It might be enough.

Using a supertweeter doesn't mean that you have to design a complex 3-way XO, some times a simple cap in series with the supertweeter is enough.

Also, since we are not talking about high sensitivity, you don't need a real expensive ribbon speaker, they are some cheapo but well performing isodynamic ribbons out there, which perform very well above 7kHz

Cheers,
- dan
Old 14th September 2007, 12:54 PM   #9
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

If the C23 is similar to the older C22 it will have a good deal of advantage over the smaller C12....the C22 did a fantastic job at its lower end, something I havent heard with any other tweeter including the older C11

I dont see any sense in using a supertweeter that is not extended above 20khz ... I think the cheap Vifa/Peerless XT19 would do a good job at this.. like a fish in the water
Old 14th September 2007, 06:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bssk
Hi Inductor,

Thank you for pointing me to the post where ttruman is facing a similar issue with the same driver. I am really not sure, on how to go about solving this rolloff problem with the tweeter. I invested on Accutons thinking that I should have no issues, and I prefer not to invest any more money. It was just an idea to add a Ribbon Tweeter to resolve the problem. Kindly give me suggestions.

Thanks,
BSSK
bssk
It should be fine. You don't need to go to that level of detail.
Check this xover and compare with yours. Attenuation must be fine (Lpad), you can see if the tweeter is with the right amount of sound level and adjust afterwards (R1-R2). BSC depends on various details but I am giving about 4dBs. Invert polarity on tweeter as in picture.
Xover frequency at 3K3Hz.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2vias x-over accuton, 2a.gif (11.9 KB, 156 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!