how to design a speaker from start to finish?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
space-cake said:
... would be nice to design something original and not only copy other people's work!

That goal is commendable, but perhaps the priority should be re-thought. If you're after great sound and want to be able to listen to it sooner rather than later, building an existing design will not only get you there quickly but will also serve as part of the education you're after.

Consider that the few really good designers out there often have degrees in such areas as electrical engineering, and have been at their craft for years. With their expertise and the current component technologies, many incredibly good speakers are available for you to build.

My humble advice would be to build one of these designs first, enjoy the music, and then proceed with the learning.

You can find an excellent guide to using Speaker Workshop at www.ClaudioNegro.com. At that site, you can also download my much more comprehensive Manual with all sorts of spreadsheets and detail about speaker building from his download page. In addition, Roman Bednarek has put together a basic guide to using SW at his site, rjbaudio.com.

The spreadsheet programs at the FRD consortium are excellent to learn from once you have a basic understanding (assuming you know how to use spreadsheet programs) and Jeff Bagby also has some tremendous programs that you can freely download at http://audio.claub.net/software/jbagby.html.

HTH,

Jay

rabbitz said:
Agree with Cal.... and then read some more. :)

I'll second (or third) that!

sdclc126 said:
My humble advice would be to build one of these designs first, enjoy the music, and then proceed with the learning.

Definitely. Building an existing design (and maybe tweaking it a bit) gives you insights that you can't get from reading - but you can't get the theory from building either.

I know Zalytron have kits for 2 speakers (drivers and crossover parts) designed by Joe D'Appolito starting from $150. And there are probably others out there on the same priceline. These can always become surround speakers when you've moved on. And they give you valuable insight into the joys of slipping up a bit with your jigsaw/router...;)

i did build a project from vikash's website (http://vikash.info/audio/W3-871S/) and i was very happy with the speakers. i gave them to my mom so she can hook up her ipod through a t-amp in her bedroom.

the thing is that i'm familier with working with wood and have built a few things in my short life and did not feel i've learned too much from the speaker building experience (again, i'm really happy with them).

i would like to build some speakers that i could use myself in a larger space. it seems like most of the speaker project i've seen lack something i want, and while going through vikash's website i've seen that he does all the driver messurments himself and based on that he uses a few programs to decide on a box design and Xover. this concept seems to me very natural and seems like it would give me the best possible design.

space-cake said:
... seems like most of the speaker project i've seen lack something i want ... this concept seems to me very natural and seems like it would give me the best possible design.

Just remember that the concept of "best possible design" is only that, a concept. All speakers end up being a compromise (from the Stan Freberg Show ""Your whole house becomes a giant speaker. You move into the garage." -- Professor Herman Horn).

Bearing that in mind, what is it that most speaker projects lack? Or, what is it that you are trying to achieve? There's design information out there to help you tailor almost anything, but you need to be able to describe what you want first, before you start the design. (For example, you want to design a vehicle so that "the winds blows through your hair" - do you want a bicycle, motor-cycle, convertable car, tank with the turret hatch open?)

This is in some cases bound by what you want to listen to (classical/jazz/rock/home theatre) and what other equipment you have to drive your speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.