Closed End Transmission Line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1/2 wave is 1-way. And it changes if the line is tapered. This Natilus prototype can be shorter because of the taper.

NautilusTLs.jpg

dave

If it helps, Bob Brines has a discussion about traditional TLs here: Traditional Transmission Lines and here: Small TL's In the 2nd article linked he notes "Small and TL is a relative thing. A TL enclosure will almost always be the largest option for a given driver".

I'm not sure why you'd want to use a TL but hey, much better people have used them than me. For example Nelson Pass used an open-ended one for the Pioneer B20 (BOFU) driver here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/60632-pioneer-8-fun.html?perpage=25&pagenumber=3

Thanks for your replies
I came up with a design a few months ago(see model pics) which wd use two small FR units in a tapered double TL (and a small sub at it's base).
I wanted to use the little spiderless Jordans (which normally use a sealed box as a suspension). I am hoping a closed TL is a good solution and may also add some benefits.

Attachments

• flight_frontprofile.jpg
    flight_frontprofile.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 409
  • flight_sidefront.jpg
    flight_sidefront.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 403
  • flight_profile.jpg
    flight_profile.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 381
I am hoping a closed TL is a good solution and may also add some benefits.

It is, though as already noted it will have to be end loaded 1/2 wave (AKA plane wave tube (PWT)) to keep from having to excessively stuff it to damp its 1/4 WL resonances.

That said and without any detail technical or hands on knowledge of these drivers, IME it will damp them so well if properly designed that they may only be usable over a relatively narrow BW, requiring either a tweeter or CD horn EQ that will significantly reduce its effective efficiency.

As you increase net Vb to allow it to 'breathe', you quickly revert back to being just a near I.B. loading, so of limited use beyond cosmetic.

GM

Probably a badly thought out question, but anyhow, do we build the half-wave TL in accordance with the drivers free air fs or, since the driver will effectively be performing in a closed box, do with build to the closed box fs (having found the approximate volume of the closed TL enclosure)? My MJK sheets expired a long time ago :(

Tapering shape and volume and lenght???

1/2 wave is 1-way. And it changes if the line is tapered. This Natilus prototype can be shorter because of the taper.

NautilusTLs.jpg

dave

Hi.
(1.25-2)Sd suggested beginning cross sectional area.
Length is 340/2f meters.
While tapering The tube, Is there any restrictions about VOLUME?
Supravox 165lb:
Sd:165cm2
Fs:64hz
Vas:42L.
When I calculated The straight closed end pipe Volume is about 46L.
It is some kind of infinite baffle.
340m/s is The speed of Sound.I think stuffing also affect this Value.
How do tapering effect The lenght?
Is there any equation to calculate The lenght when tapering being used?
(Lets say simple tapered shapes used to calculate easily).
Lets say we use use tapering wrt fibonacci serie.
??

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
While tapering The tube, Is there any restrictions about VOLUME?

You should try to preserve volume

It is some kind of infinite baffle.
How do tapering effect The length?

If the line tapers towards a point, the line can be shorter. It is an attempt at an IB but smaller with the intent of the long, well-stuffed line to absorb the entire backwave.

I think stuffing also affect this Value.

Does not significantly effect the speed of sound.

Is there any equation to calculate The lenght when tapering being used?

There are simulators, they are usually used for ¼ wave lines, don’t know how they handle ½ wave lines.

dave

You should try to preserve volume

If the line tapers towards a point, the line can be shorter. It is an attempt at an IB but smaller with the intent of the long, well-stuffed line to absorb the entire backwave.

Does not significantly effect the speed of sound.

There are simulators, they are usually used for ¼ wave lines, don’t know how they handle ½ wave lines.

dave

Sorry But I couldn't understand.
If I should preserve Volume while tapering,I should start with bigger starting cross sectional area to obtain same Volume?
I started to think Volume(closed) is only related to ordinary closed box(air suspension or infinite).
And lenght should be FIX is 340/2f meter?
If use symetrical shape Volume, can I use The middle line For calculations?

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If I should preserve Volume while tapering,I should start with bigger starting cross sectional area to obtain same Volume?

Yes. The line can be shortened because th etaper bunches up the harmonics.

I started to think Volume(closed) is only related to ordinary closed box(air suspension or infinite).

Bass response will be much the same as the driver in the available volume.

And length should be FIXs 340/2f meter?

You can, but it really should shorten a bit from that. How much depends on the amount of taper.

dave

So can we assume Volume will be enough to break The air spring and The lenght will be 340/2f meter(tapering shorten this lenght).
It is pretty big enclosure For full range and woofer Drivers.
If I crossover The woofer at 200hz I can use full range Driver in The closed TL with managable size..
Can I ask a question out of this subject?
There are golden ratio enclosures in your site.
How do you classify them?(some kind of ported maybe?)
Thanks!!

Net volume [Vb] determines how much output it will have and its length the tuning, so reduce Vb reduces available [mid] bass output and in general a TL's Vb needs to be anywhere from 4-10x Vas to get good bass output, so if you start at a closed point and need a 100" line, then the driver baffle area at the open end will be whatever is necessary to get the desired Vb.

IOW, if you make a TL's Vb = required for AS, then better overall to just make an AS box.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.