For All AUSSIES : Jantzen coils and caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey i like this guy,

he is buildin 21" subs.

makes me cry as my pair of 21" subs did not fit in my flat so they have legged it over to Perth.
Damnation.
They had 1.3kw power amps and a sub control unit.

They went with my horns to make a system that did 10hz to 100khz.

Oh well if ever i can have a home big enough to have large subs i will probably build a pair again.

Meanwhile i will remember fondly the subs.

i do miss the 10hz-30hz reinforcement though.

Still, i have the Audiophile Society of New South Wales and the Sydney Audio Club to keep me off the streets at weekends.

There are a great bunch of people who roll their own so i hope to build something in the not too distant future.

regards David

Hi,

The Cross caps look very interesting and are very well priced.

How do they sound? How do they compare to their expensive brothers?

I was looking for any comments from Troels Gravesen's site. I remember he used to have a cap comparison report but can't find it any more. Perhaps he took it out from his site.

Regards,
Bill

HiFiNutNut said:
Hi,
The Cross caps look very interesting and are very well priced.
How do they sound? How do they compare to their expensive brothers?
I was looking for any comments from Troels Gravesen's site. I remember he used to have a cap comparison report but can't find it any more. Perhaps he took it out from his site.
Regards, Bill

From what I remember it was a 'quick test with his wife.
Verdit was basically so long as your not using bipolar electrolytics it should be ok.
Think his wife prefered the electro's.
This was a test on a small two way 'bookshelf' system.

Received some inductors and caps from Stephen in super fast time after I ordered.

Nice quality and the caps seem to fit in between Solen SCR and Mundorf M-Cap (white).

I redesigned a crossover for a 27TDFC + 850122 bookshelf to a 2nd order AR series and the Jantzen caps were used throughout. There's a 15uF in series to the tweeter and no problems in the sound at all... quite neutral actually and I think they have an edge on the Solen SCR in this position.

Re: Possible Tangband supplies....

Andy Graddon said:
Just to let the Aussies here know.

Stephen is considering bringing in a small selection of TangBand drivers.

It'd be good to have access to local supply of (say) 3" to 5" wide range drivers, suitable for construction of line arrays.

Check PartsExpress.com for the items listed for under US$10 ea.

That would be nice.

Doug

Re: Re: Possible Tangband supplies....

Brisso57 said:

It'd be good to have access to local supply of (say) 3" to 5" wide range drivers, suitable for construction of line arrays.

Wide range drivers are not what is required for a line array. I talked (via email) with Jim Griffin about this.
Even with 3" drivers, you can only get up to around 4k-4.5k before comb interference occurs, with the resultant drop off of apparent spl. You must cross to either a tight line of tweeters or a single hi spl tweeter to avoid the problem.

Re: Re: Re: Possible Tangband supplies....

Andy Graddon said:

Wide range drivers are not what is required for a line array. I talked (via email) with Jim Griffin about this.
Even with 3" drivers, you can only get up to around 4k-4.5k before comb interference occurs, with the resultant drop off of apparent spl. You must cross to either a tight line of tweeters or a single hi spl tweeter to avoid the problem.

Yes. Agreed, but tweeters are relatively cheap. It's the mid/wide drivers that are the expensive components.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.