Round tractrix horn for my B&C DE250

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Haven't tried simming a Tractrix in Hornresp, but for a 1600 Hz XO I'd want the horn to have a cut-off at least an octave below it, or ~800 Hz:

throat dia. = 1"
axial length = 3.75"
mouth dia. = ~5.4"

........and since it's a Tractrix, preferably ~ 1.5 octaves IMO, or ~565 Hz:

throat dia. = 1"
axial length = 6.625"
mouth dia. = ~7.65"

Regardless, you can't accurately input a compression driver's specs AFAIK since it is itself a 4th order band-pass speaker, so there's no way to accurately sim the driver/horn combination.

GM

You're welcome!

Good Q and without the driver's response in a plane wave tube (PWT) it's hard to say, at least for me since I have no experience with this driver. In theory the driver's compression (rear) chamber volume (Vb) will need to be increased to make best use of the horn's extra BW with the attendant reduction of acoustic efficiency since as is it's claimed to be designed for a 1600 Hz XO point, though for HIFI apps we can fudge this to a bit lower point and EQ it flat since we don't need a prosound's high SPL/protection requirements.

So lacking any other info, you can try it on a 350 Hz Tractrix with a > 990 Hz XO and EQ it ~flat in a HIFI app since the CC is tuned to a 1 kHz - up published BW and my SWAG is it will only handle ~30 W peak.

a007udio said:
I looks that i will buy a horn and not to made by my self.
Is there any good soruce of horns out there?

I was looking this one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-310

Any good?
It's not a trax, and has a threaded insert, so you'll need an adaptor for a bolt on driver. I don't like adaptors.

Other sources
http://www.stereo-lab.de/
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Neu-STATE-OF...ryZ22062QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
www.ddshorn.com - ENG 1-90 Pro

Quality reproduction qualiry flares are expensive and a small market.

The DDS I mentioed earlier, or the 18Sound XT1086 are your best budget alternatives, but neither are tractrix. They're both waveguides.

Most slot throat pro flares sound like garbage; I know because I have a shed full of them.

Round tractrix horns

I would like to make tractrix horn for my DE250. Can anyone help me?
I was trie to calculate horn with HornCalc but resaults are strange.
I will use DE250 from 1600Hz and up.

Have you checked out the spreadsheet in volvotreter?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Inspired by volvotreter, I just built my first tractrix horn (320 Hz) out of baltic birch. It turned out better than I expected. It was my first lathe project too (I'm sure a lot of you fall into that category).

I detailed every step in a blog:

DIY Firefly

The PE (Dayton) WG's are quite good for their open sound. But be careful with the lousy throats. With adaptors, I guess the problem gets even more complicated. Many people don't like adaptors. I think it's mainly because that's a straight cylindrical section which colors the sound. The throat of Dayton's WG is 29mm, so you got about 2mm space per side to make the initial flare to match the driver. Or, the length is also needed to be changed. Lathe should come in handy....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.