Treating Tannoy Monitor Golds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I have had success treating FR 125'S a small paper fullrange driver with two very thin coats of C37 lacquer.

A friend has a very substantial investment in time and money in some 15 inch Tannoy Monitor Gold speakers which in a way are really an heirloom product. Now he is keen to try the same treatment on the Tannoys , but since it is a one way trip has anyone tried this on these or very somilar speakers?

Thanks,
Rob.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Good to hear that you had the same experience with the FR125 as i did.

Some of the drivers i tried the C37 got a lot better, some not as good as doing the cone up with puzzlecoat, i didn't have any that got worse, but the US Lowther distrib says C37 will ruin a set of lowthers.

If anyone has done up a set of Tannoys Thorsten Loesch was either the proginator or at least knows about it.

You should mail him at AMR and see if he has any input before you go ahead.

dave

Dave thanks, I'll give Thorsten a crack. Yes I find the FR125's reproduce more tonal colour and have better resolution with the lac, overall a nice change.

Pinkmouse, yes that is exactly the conundrum, although I doubt the visual effect on the Tannoys will be all that heinous! I suspect it may cause a slight darkening of the cones and not much else.

Rgds,
Rob.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just a hunch, but...

I got the feeling that how good C37 was on a driver was related to how easily it could be applied to the cone material. On the FRs it almost spread itself, on the Fostex it was a real struggle. The FRs really benefitted, the Fostex were better than stock, but the top end became somewhat blunted (ie not as good by a ways vrs just puzzlecoat.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.