Raal 140-15d

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AUSSIE RAL 70-10 group buy!

Hi Guys

I'm interested in gathering a group by for Australia of the RAAL 70-10. Discount is about 25% off US$300 = approx US$225 = approx AU$250.

This is a rare opportunity to grab a versatile ribbon tweater for the price of a danish dynamic driver!

If anyones' interest please let me know!

(After researching both the 70-10 and 140-50, i've found the 70-10 is more versatile for various projects. The 140-50 is just too big for a coherent crossover over 1.8khz)

Re: AUSSIE RAL 70-10 group buy!

Volvo_Victim said:

(After researching both the 70-10 and 140-50, i've found the 70-10 is more versatile for various projects. The 140-50 is just too big for a coherent crossover over 1.8khz)

Hi Volvo,

Is 140-50 a new product? Can only find 140-15D.
You mention about 70-10 being more versatile, well the recommended crossover is 4th order L-R @ 2800 Hz. The 140-15D is 4th order L-R @ 1600 Hz which to me is more versatile.

The 70-10 is only 95mm in diameter, whereas the 140-50D is almost 7 inches long.

Because the 140-50D is so big, there are fewer dynamic drivers it can be crossed with and still be in phase, as the distance between the two drivers is much bigger than normal.

x-over of 4th order at 2800hz sounds steep, but with an initial low-Q slope, intergration is still seamless as a second order x-over.

The 70-10 is the same size as most conventional dynamic tweaters, with similar parameters. Therefore, it can be easily implemented into conventional dynamic speakers with little modifications.

Volvo_Victim said:

Because the 140-50D is so big, there are fewer dynamic drivers it can be crossed with and still be in phase, as the distance between the two drivers is much bigger than normal.

If I recall correctly, those rules are different for ribbons and planars because they act like a mini line source. On a ribbon, that quarter wavelength measurement starts from the end of the radiating area of the ribbon.

Hi John- that sounds like an interesting phenomenon.

Would i be correct in assuming the 'in phase' distance between the two units would be approx 21 cm from the centre of a dynamic cone at a x-over of 1600hz?

I notice the 140-15D also has vertical foam pads, so the effective radiating area begins about 2-3 inches from each end of the unit?

Volvo victim, I'm in Australia, thinking about what speakers to make up. Thinking of a 3 way with the Excel W26 and W15, and was thinking of the Millenium tweeter after an email reply from Seas. So this Raal tweeter really is that good? I could be interested in a group buy with you.

Hi Obiwan- depends on the price Seas is offering you.

Ribbons offer amazingly natural sound, due to their large radiating surface area and very low moving mass- they can reproduce sound that most dynamic drivers can only dream of.

I must admit my experience is limited to 'full-size' ribbons (Apogee Minor, and Centaur), so drawing comparisons to the RAAL drivers is to some point conjecture.

On the other hand, the price of the RAAL 70-10D is comparable to a Scan-Speak tweater in a conventional setup, so the potenial benefits outweigh any concerns.

What about their radiation pattern blending in with the mid? The mid will radiate fairly equally vertically and horizontally where as the ribbon is mainly horizontal. I just wonder if that could pose problems or will it be beneficial?

With my DEQX I'll be able to use quite steep crossovers.

The radiation patterns for both the 140-15D and 70-10D seem quite impressive.

I'm particularly looking at horizontal dispersion, as this would seem to affect L-R stereo imaging more than vertical dispersion.

Vertical dispersion still seems quite good for both, but as my ears will be level (ie vertically 'on axis'), vertical dispersion would appear not to be as critical as L-R dispersion.

Group Buys....

The group buy idea created some positve outcomes for Alex at RAAL and way too much fallout. If someone else wants to contact him about it, that is fine by me. He is a great person and I have a lot of respect for him, but do not want to proceed with a DIY based group buy.

Thanks for your support, and if Agent.5 wants to take up the reigns, that is great.

C

Re: Group Buys....

chrismercurio said:
The group buy idea created some positve outcomes for Alex at RAAL and way too much fallout. If someone else wants to contact him about it, that is fine by me. He is a great person and I have a lot of respect for him, but do not want to proceed with a DIY based group buy.

Thanks for your support, and if Agent.5 wants to take up the reigns, that is great.

C

I don't mind doing it, and I have flawless feedback on Ebay and elsewhere. But I am buying the drivers for Lynn's new speaker. So, I will wait for Lynn to finalize all his speaker choices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.