Box wall thickness - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Box wall thickness

How to know which wall thickness for your box that will most likely give you the best result?

After reading the much talked about BBC speaker building paper, I got the impression that out of two speakers, the one with the double thickness of the box walls gave the worst result. I would have guessed it would turn out the other way around. Aparently not. I have never come across this kind of information earlier.

Is it likely to affect all four walls, that is, side walls, back and baffel? My plan was to have the baffel and back double the thickness of the sligthly curved side panels.

Anyone willing to expand on the issue?
Old 4th September 2007, 12:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default Thicknesses...

After building a dozen or so commisioned one-of-a-kind speaker enclosures, from slightly over 1.5 cubic feet on up to 24.5, I will use 5/8" for panels not to exceed 50 square inches, 3/4" for panels 144 square inches, anything over that I use one inch....MDF.
The larger ones of course weigh alot, for the one inch I use two inch woodscrews every five inches of panel.
My very subjective test of the workmanship of an enclosure is to rap it smartly with you knuckles, If it "sounds" solid as in a high frequency sound....like a large solid peice of wood.....ots' OK.
_____________________________________Rick......... .
Old 4th September 2007, 03:41 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A lot of info here...

Discussion on what materials to build speakers out of

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!