Piezo help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am messing around with line array using piezo's.I am a little slow on wiring.After reading posts and trying to understand as its easier in drawing form I came up with this.Am I even close?From the cts website I have the values but need help with putting it in layman's terms.I only need 1 per woofer but for asthetics I want 2,to get woofer line and tweeter line close in size.Thanks

Attachments

• piezo 001.jpg
    piezo 001.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 375
Planet10 gave me a link a couple of posts up.The last paragraph might as well be chinese to me.Could somebody draw that out for me.I am confused on series caps and shunts.I thought shunt was series and series cap was parallel.HELP,I'm so lost.here it is.............Looking from the amp, first the series crossover cap, say 4 uF, then the 22 ohm shunt from hot to ground, then a series cap of about 0.15 uF for 6 dB attenuation, and then a series resistor of about 30-50 ohms to tame the very top end, then the piezo itself.

shawn what you've just described sounds pretty right actually. I've got the original article (JAES) by the Motorola engineer (called Bost? I think) and that's where a lot of this stuff comes from graphs etc. The two caps function differently in the two different positions as previously mentioned. The same goes for the resistor. When the resistor is between the 22ohm resistance and the tweeter it attenuates the higher frequencies. If you put it on the other side of the 22ohm (ie back on the amp side) it would attenuate volume.

Now "series" means the signal passes thru' both components but one after the other, ok? "Shunt" and parrallel are the same (we just do this to confuse people! ha ha). Think of the signal passing thru' both of the components at the same time in parallel. Hope that makes sense. BTW we all had to wrestle with this stuff....you're not alone. If you want to do the theory and enjoy working from first principles then put "electrical impedance" in google and you'll probably get a strqaightforward tute somewhere. But hang in there man, your on the right track!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.